Northeast Hunter Magazine ???

Lone Eagle

Reaction score
Has anybody ever received any copies of this "magazine"? I went to a few of the Benoit seminars over the past two years. They talked up the magazine saying the subscribers would receive an exclusive Benoit dvd each year.I subscribed.... It's been two years. No video. I did receive one thin issue. I have emailed the editor 5-6 times over the two years and kept getting the standard "it will be out next month" response.I finally got fed up and asked for my subscription to be cancelled and a refund. It's been 3 weeks since he acknowledged he would cancel. No check in the mail.

Has anybody else fallen victim to Northeast Hunter Magazine?

http://www.nehunter.com/index.shtm

Bill/NH

Reaction score
Don't feel like the Lone Eagle on this one. At this point I'm glad I only subscribed for one year. I think I'm owed 3 mags and a special edition also. A funny thing, the year before I subscribed, I arrowed a 3pter in velvet near this guys house. I kept looking at the address and thinking how familiar it was. Then I figured out I was getting to this particular apple tree in a swamp from the other side of his road. Well anyways, guess the cancellation was a waste just like the subscription!!! I'd like to say this guy moved up from Mass, but I have no evidence, so unfortunately I'll have to claim him as one of our own. Bill

Lil John

Reaction score
It seems they are doing a very good job at pissing people off. I have never seen an issue in my mailbox, the only copy I ever recieved was the one I got at the sportsman show, months after I paid for a two year subscription.
If I still had the number I'd give em a call.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat fellas. I signed up for two years and I've only got the promo issue and their first real issue that came out last january I think. I've called him a couple of times...I've actually talked to the guy a couple of times and got a call back a week or so ago saying the next issue was being proofed or something and it would be soon. I don't think he's got much money or help..we'll see.

Lone Eagle

Reaction score
Well, it looks like this is not the first time this John Katsigianis has done this sort of thing. He has a flyfishing magazine that he did the same thing to:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/sh...ngland+magazine

The website for the magazine is: http://www.ffnewengland.com/contact.shtm

I emailed Shane Benoit but, he says everything is out of their hands. I would not have purchased a subscription without their recommendation at all of the shows. They were collecting the money and the dvd sounded good.

Oh well, maybe next year. My guess is this guy robbed Peter to pay Paul and we were the fools....

Lokewolf

Reaction score
Gonna pay him a visit on Friday...I drive by the place every single day to work!!!!! Gonna contact the BBB as well!

Lokewolf

Reaction score
Emailed him this morning and got a quik response......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Subject: Re: Northeast Hunter Magazine

Erik,

You have certainly misread what we at Northeast Hunter are trying to do.
I do apologize that things have not moved along as either you or I would
like.  Our second issue was mailed out of our printer in Wisconsin
today.  We are having trouble having the DVD duplicated and that has
been a very frustrating experience.

If you would like us to cancel your subscription please let me know.

John[/b]
I sent the email with a blind carbon copy(bcc:) to the benoit's as well. I doubt they will respond but I don't care, just wanted to let them know again.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Sic the state on him. Most states have laws stating a time limit for them to deliver their product. Here it's 30 days or money back. At least get your money back and spread the word.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
Erik,

Thank you for the last email.  I want to tell you a bit about me so you can understand what I am trying to do.

I started FlyFishing New England because I was dissatisfied with life as an attorney.  I use the magazine to promote everyone I can in the industry.  If you have ever seen FFNE, you will see profiles on shops, fly tyers, guides and local companies.  I do all those articles at no obligation or cost to the companies or individuals profiled.  Of course, I hope these folks turn into advertisers, subscribers or other supporters, but there is no pressure to do so.  But I feel that, somehow, it will come back to reward me.  I am now trying to do the same with Northeast Hunter in the hunting industry. 

I know I have alot of detractors out there on the web.  Regardless of what they say about me, I am an honest person who is trying to get a business off the ground against big odds.  I have done well with it so far.  I do it because I love the industry.  Believe me, I made alot more money as an attorney.

I am a one man operation and, sometimes, that one postcard becomes an overwhelming task.  I hope NOT to have to explain tardy issues any longer.  We are working hard to get on the right schedule.  These DVDs are proving very frustrating to duplicate, but I think I may have come upon the solution today.

So, if anyone says something negative, please just tell them to hang in there.  I will deliver what I promise to deliver.

Thanks.

John[/b]
I dunno?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
It's been two years. No video. I did receive one thin issue. I have emailed the editor 5-6 times over the two years and kept getting the standard "it will be out next month" response[/b]
2 years is plenty of time. The guy is scamming to get a cash flow going. If you keep agreeing to wait he just keeps going. You need to put an end to this guy's game. Call the BBB and state.

Lone Eagle

Reaction score
I in no way am trying to distract from Northeast Hunter Magazine. I would love if it he had delivered as promised.
Here's a little run down of my conversations with him:

Jan 26, 2004 He said "I delivered the complete disk to the printer early this morning. We expect to have the magazine for the Worcestor Show which is February 6th.
The DVD will be finished in a day or two. There is no material on this DVD that anyone has seen before. It is a special edition DVD available only to Northeast Hunter subscribers."

March 8, 2004 "The DVD is finished. We are working on making all the copies. It should be done this month."

April 12, 2004 "We are working on it and should have it out very soon. This is a new area for us and we are not certain how long this process takes.We'll have it out to you as soon as possible."

June 11, 2004 "The DVD is being released with the summer issue which will be out in about 4 weeks.If you should want the return of your subscription, please do not hesitate to tell me."

July 23, 2004 " Will cancel your subscription as requested."

No response since then. I live in NH so dropping a check in the mail should be 2 days at most. Putting the dvd completion aside. What ever happened to the magazine for the Worcester show? What about the summer issue in July? If they were having problems with the dvd then why didn't they consult the good folks at Great Northern Productions who have produced several of the Benoit videos on tape and DVD. I'm sure they used the footage that Great Northern filmed....
As a former attorney, one would think that he wouldn't diddle around refunding people who ask for their money back. Good luck to all involved including Northeast Hunter magazine. If you haven't subscribed I would recommend against it until you see it at the news stands. It's as elusive as a 300# whitetail buck.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I went out to breakfast this morning and nearly sh#t myself when I saw 5 issues of "Fly Fishing New England" at the cash register!!!!! It was dated summer issue 2004! Went to Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH.

I'll wait til Oktober Fest then pay a visit and get a check from him...hopefully!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I went out to breakfast this morning and nearly sh#t myself when I saw 5 issues of "Fly Fishing New England" at the cash register!!!!! It was dated summer issue 2004! Went to Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH.[/b]
If it was me that was burned I would make sure and point out to the business owner displaying the mags that the guy had been burning people for 2 years. I also would let that business owner know I wouldn't be back until he removed the mags and I would be telling all my buddies that got ripped about the mag display.

You do have the power as a consumer and one who patronizes local businesses to shut this guy down, you just have to use it.

Lone Eagle

Reaction score
I did receive a refund yesterday for my subscription in the form of a postal money order. No apologies though.For the sake of everybody involved, I hope this magazine does somehow get off the ground. The Hawkeye newspaper has a great following and I had hoped this magazine could take off.The promise of a special Benoit video was what drew me in. I hope the rest of you receive the Fall issue soon.The printer should be able to whip those out in 30 days. I will not subscribe but I might pick it up if I see it at the newstand. Lakewolf, I'd keep an eye on things and take him up on his refund if he does not deliver as promised.

Good luck to all this fall.

Lone Eagle

Lil John

Reaction score
I just got the summerissue in my mail box today, Just in time for fall.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I just got it too.. heck, at least we got it, hopefully he gets his butt in gear and gets the dvd out soon. I'm not holding my breathe or anything, just anxiously awaiting. I like the Deer Camp story, probably because I have my camp up in Pittsburg as well.

Lil John

Reaction score
I just got the DVD, It won't play on the computer (media player), Now to try the DVD player on the tube.

Added in edit...

It works fine in the DVD player.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I can't wait to get it! Strange though, I live 10 miles away and you would've thought I'd get it before you Lil'John.

How is it?

Lokewolf

Reaction score
Has anyone else got the DVD yet? I still haven't got it and I think he's giving me some payback for emailing him on the shortcomings of his venture thus far?

Top Bottom