northeastern CA

Cahunter

Reaction score
its seems that not many of us got drawn for that part of the state. I surely didn't but I like to read the stories about others hunting up in X3b/a or x5b. Good luck this season. I will be hunt the awsome Azone this year.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I got lucky and drew X3B
I'm heading up over the labor day weekend with rudog and my girlfriend to do some scouting. I'll take some pics and post them. Hopefully come Oct 2nd, those pics will have some horns in them somewhere.

Cahunter

Reaction score
I hope so to. I have hunted that zone a few times, what area are you going to hunt. I liked some spots down in the sourthern part of that zone. There are some nice bucks up there. Good luck.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
My scouting plans are as follows, check the north end of the zone, Dismal swamp and Mount bidwell. Then we'll drive south on 395 and scout east of Madeline. I don't know the name of the road the heads out from 395, but I know it's close to the border of X5B. I actually got that area from you I believe, anything more you can add to it? Do you know who far that dirt road is out of town, north or south of town? I was looking at a topo, does clarks valley road sound familure? How about Christensen corral and Streshly Cabin? could this be the place your talking about?

When the season comes around, opening day will depend on my scouting trip. But I think i'm going to start out at the north end at a couple of spots someone else suggested. If I haven't filled my tag by Tuesday, then i'm packing up and heading south to the border, and will hunt the remainder of the week.

I'm not looking for anything real huge, but will take the first 20+ incher that steps out

Thanks for your help

Cahunter

Reaction score
if I remember right the road is about 5-8 miles south of madiline. I will ask my friend if he remembers the name of the rds. If you get some snow that dissmal swamp area could be really good. I think the bigger bucks are south in that sage brush country. Also there will be a lot of hunters up north opening weekend.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Yeah, check that out for me. Because when I'm looking at the maps, 5-8 miles south will put me in X5B. The Red rock-Tuledad-clarks valley rd is the border and it looks like its right out of the town of Madline. This road actually changes names the further you go down it.

Thanks again for your help.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
You're right, it is Clarks Valley Road. Back in the day my dad and I hunted east of Likely in the South Warner Wilderness. One of the largest deer I've ever seen in California came from just west of Eagle Peak. I wonder if that area is still any good. Used to be a lot of deer there.

Cahunter

Reaction score
I talked to my friend and he dosen't remeber the name of the road. You could ask the guy at the cafe' in Madiline he like to hunt and he would know the road. when you go scout check it out or ask the F&G officer they are usually around up there and will help you out. Tuledad road is in x5b I hunted there a few years ago, saw lots of deer, man now if I could just get another tag.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom