Northern California Newbie!

efrancanojr

Reaction score
Hey Yall just moved here to Northern California from Arizona where we do not have black tail deer. Also not used to hunting in the woods and Hills. Me and my 16 year old son will be hunting black tail this upcoming season in the D3-5 Zone. I'm looking for any kind of tips or assistants as to where would be a good place to start scouting. Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated! Here's to carrying on the hunting tradition to our young ones!

JohnCo

Reaction score
Welcome! There's lots of tags and lots of hunters! My advice would be to start looking anywhere out of sight of the roads. Find a trail to hike in on, and then go off trail from there. It might take a couple years to narrow down some good places with bucks, but that's hunting. If you have some good binos or spotting scope, find somewhere with a good vantage point overlooking some clearings and just sit quietly and glass at first light and in the evenings. Midday you could slow hike through timber and jump a buck and maybe get a shot. Depends on your hunting style I guess.

muskeg

Reaction score
I would give the country up Hwy 88 a try. There are some logging spurs that will get you into some good areas. Just like Az during dry conditions find some remote water.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom