Northern California Turkey Hunting

efrancanojr

Reaction score
Hey y'all just relocated to Northern California from Arizona and don't have much an idea of where to scout for spring gobblers. Can anybody PLEASE give me some direction since I'm new here?
Thanks!!!!

Fubar

Reaction score
Welcome to California. Northern California is a big place. You need to be a little more specific in the area you are looking to hunt in.

Fubar

Reaction score
Hello. First you have to find turkeys. If you have public land you can hunt, National Forest or BLM, call them and ask to speak to a biologist. Have maps ready of the areas you want to hunt. The biologist can tell you areas where to start looking for turkeys. Go to the areas and look for sign or see if you can see or hear the turkeys. Sign is feathers, poop, dusting areas, or tracks. Get a crow call and blow that and see if any turkeys respond. Once you find some areas you can hunt that hold turkeys you can start to devise a plan to hunt them. If you find some, let me know and I will tell you how to hunt them.

jeffc

Reaction score
Hello. First you have to find turkeys. If you have public land you can hunt, National Forest or BLM, call them and ask to speak to a biologist. Have maps ready of the areas you want to hunt. The biologist can tell you areas where to start looking for turkeys. Go to the areas and look for sign or see if you can see or hear the turkeys. Sign is feathers, poop, dusting areas, or tracks. Get a crow call and blow that and see if any turkeys respond. Once you find some areas you can hunt that hold turkeys you can start to devise a plan to hunt them. If you find some, let me know and I will tell you how to hunt them.
Thanks Fubar. First question...I realize this is a silly question, but where can I find a map/regulations on which counties allow hunting/shooting?

ltdann

Reaction score
In general, any public land with "park" in the name, doesn't. Public land with "forest" in the name generally does. Check their websites.

Probably your best source would be the local chapter of the NWTF. Another resource might be ONx maps, but be careful there.

Finding access to land for hunting is tough, be prepared to drive a ways.

Fubar

Reaction score
Most National Forest and Blm is open to hunting. They both have certain areas that are closed for special circumstances. If you know what area you want to hunt in the National Forest call their local office that governs that area and they can advise you of any areas that are closed and where you can legally hunt. Talk to biologists and find out where there are turkeys. You can also talk to NWTF chapters in the area you want to hunt and they can help you. Usually hard core turkey hunters guard the spots they like to hunt with their life, or it seems like it. Once you find an area you are allowed to hunt that holds turkeys then put some time in scouting and looking for sign. See above. Go on youtube and look at videos on how to call, hunt, shoot etc. Then drive everyone in your house crazy practicing your turkey calls.

Top Bottom