NOT denned up in the desert

Mojave

Reaction score
Been following this catagory quietly without comment, as I'm pretty much a novice at hunting coyotes. I spend a lot of time out on the desert, though, so I'm an expert at seeing them! I read the comments on 'yotes still being denned up in Carrizo, and thought I'd offer a desert report. I camped out one night with my son in the El Mirage area over Easter weekend, and we were visited at about 2 A.M. by a sizable pack of coyotes, out carousing. They always sound like there are a lot of them, with all their yipping and howling, but this was a pretty big pack. I was too tired to get up and see how many, or to take a pot shot. Anyway, next morning at about 9:30, we heard them coming in fast again! I had time to put down my pan of bacon, and get out my gun and load it, but not quite enough time to get under cover before they came tearing over the rise into camp. I got off only one shot at the big male out in front, and missed. They shut up and turned tail as soon as they spotted us, and we didn't hear or see them again. Next week we will build a blind...

Hook

Reaction score
I am glad to see someone is seeing coyotes......uh..where exactly were you camped???:smile-big-blue: Just kidding.

I have a new 243 I need to break in.....

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I am Sooooooo  J E A L O U S :)

Way to go, Mojave.... glad to see someone with some coyote luck...

Frank  

Mojave

Reaction score
No secret where we were, Hook, but the .243 would be a problem in the area. There is the L.A. County line on one side (shotgun only - the whole Northeast county), and houses on the San Bernadino County side. We were on private land, pretty close to where the county line has a "jog" in it, near Black Butte. There is some BLM land nearby, and you know that pack has a pretty wide range.

Hook

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forget about the shotgun only area. Thanks for the info, I have too many irons in the fire this month, maybe in May I can pay a visit to that area.

Good luck next weekend.

22 250

Reaction score
My son and I decided to try a one-day trip to Arizona.  Had a great location to setup in, but got stuck in soft sand. Four hours later, we were on the first stand.  Jackrabbit and howls and cottontail and howls did not produce.  Went to the woodpecker on the third stand and a 24 lb female came charging.  She stopped at 50 yards and looks around and then walked about five yards closer.  We were down wind but she was suspicious so I hit her with a 40-gr Winchester Silver tip from the Weatherby 22-250.   She ran about 40 yards and dropped.   No more action at this stand.

Walked about 400 yards to a wash upwind and setup again.  Another female came in the scenario. My son shot her with the 12ga barrel on his Savage 24F.  She also ran about 40 yards.  The #4 buck had a really great pattern in the sand, really surprise at the run distance.    

Neither, female was pregant or nuring.  Both looked like first year dogs.  They had been eating some type of seeds and green leaf materials.  

(Edited by 22 250 at 6:19 pm on April 2, 2002)

rlwright

Reaction score
I had a pair of coyotes come into my turkey setup monday morning. They froze at about 20 feet when I looked over at them. I proceded to slowly swing my shotgun towards the male who stood his ground. It would have been an easy shot but It was still early and I didn't want to scare the possible turkey. It was still to early to think clearly because I should have shot, with those coyotes running around there will be no turkeys in the area. I didn't see or hear a turkey all morning, but now I'm definatley hooked on varmit hunting as that was the first pair of coyotes I've called in and I know where to go.

Live and learn

Mojave

Reaction score
Hook: If I have my way, there may be no 'yotes left in May!

22 250: Seeds and green leaves! I wonder how big those Arizona Coyotes would get, eating rabbits?!

Rlwright: I think I was the one that felt like a turkey, missing my shot at maybe 30 yards.

I'll report, with pix, if we are successful at thinning out the dog population in the desert. The son is talking about a pelt on the wall of his room.

Hook

Reaction score
Mojave, I better get out there soon, before you get them all....:smile-yellow:

EVAN III

Reaction score
  I'm gettin a new idea for a coyote shotgun setup..... hummm....    I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea.

EVAN III

Latest Posts

Top Bottom