Nothing compares to topwater bass fishing

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Top water fishing always worth the time

Doris Sims/Gadsen (AL) Times

June 28, 2002

What would you rather catch a bass on - a crankbait, lizard, jig or worm-topwater lure?
Nothing turns on bass anglers more than the sight and sound of a huge fish blasting a surface bait to smithereens.

Fishermen love to catch bass on any lure they use, but there is something unique about the topwater experience.

To describe the feeling would be like the thrill of a ride on the Six Flags Scream Machine. Topwater is not for the faint of heart.

Topwater fishermen are always looking for that big blast when it destroys the lure in that big swirl.

You can listen to how excited they get when they tell you about the big one that smacked that jitterbug, pop-R, or tiny torpedo.

You just don't hear the same excitement when a bass bites a bottom lure.

"It looked like a commode flushing," "sounded like a car falling off a bridge," "made a heck of a swirl," "scared the daylights out of me," "you should've seen it hit, Kaboosh!"

Catching a bass on the surface is an experience not soon forgotten.

One reason topwater fishing is so special to so many anglers is because it is a seasonal treat.

If you could go out any time of the year and catch a bass on the surface it wouldn't be near as exciting.

Topwater time starts when the water warms to the upper 60's.

In late spring and summer, bass move off their spawning beds with big appetites. The bass are more aggressive at this time than they were a month ago. They chase shad, bluegill and other forage, rather than sit still by an old stump or log waiting for passing prey.

I personally like a Zara Spook. It looks like a banana bobbling across the surface. Plip, plop, plip, plop, coming across the surface.

Then all of a sudden, an explosion rips the surface.

My rod bowed, the drag ripped and the fish jumped out of the water three times.
Just as I went to net, it I saw two more huge bass chasing the one I hooked, trying to take the silly looking yellow spook out of its mouth. The fish weighed seven pounds on certified scales.

Bass fishing doesn't get any better than this.

Bass will continue to nail surface baits when the water gets downright hot. Big fish will hit topwaters at daybreak and dusk even in 95 degree weather.
What's the best topwater lure?

It all depends on where you're fishing. Some popular styles are: Rapala, chug bug, pop-R and spook.

If you are fishing in a grassy pond, a jitterbug is great.

Then your buzzbaits, a lunker lure, your prop baits, devils horse and the weedless topwaters for grasses, milfoil and ponds and lakes with mats of algae are next best.
The rattlin' rat and moss boss crawl right over the sloppy stuff and draw humongous strikes.

The most exciting topwater, heart-thumping fishing you will ever have, fish topwater lures on a pond or small lake at night.
You'll be hooked for life.

Top Bottom