Now I've seen it all...

songdog

Reaction score
I've called coyotes for years.  I've shot them with everything from rimfires to .270s.  Last Friday I found myself out in Niland waiting for the dove opener.  The evening before I tried a call out in the desert at a favorite spot with a friend who met me out there.  

After 3-4 minutes a large yote came in straight at me.  I put the cross hairs of the Ruger #1 in .243 right in the center of his chest and sent a 55gr balistic tip his direction.  

He dropped immediately.... then he rolled over on his back and proceeded to scratch his back on the ground (like your dog does when he has an itch)... then he jumped 4 feet in the air, landed and started growling like a madman and running in circles trying to bite his tail... then he tore off through the brush as fast as I've seen a coyote run.

I sat there stunned.  Looked at my hunting friend and we both shrugged our shoulders and started walking in the general direction that the coyote left.  Fortunately, the salt cedar was prety thin and there was nothing but sand under our feet.

We found the spot where he had been shot.  The sand was all messed up and there was a fair amount of blood.  We followed the blood and tracks for well over 200 yards.  Finally we found the coyote piled up next to a salt cedar.  When we flipped him over there was a 6" hold in the top of his back.

The bullet had entered right square in the middle of his chest (shot while he was facing me), went all the way down to his mid section and then exited out the top of his back leaving a huge hole.

How the coyote made it more than 2 feet let alone 200 yds is amazing.  I've hunted coyotes for years and have probably had fewer than 5 step more than a foot from where they've been shot.

Just posted this to throw a little fuel on the fire of "which coyote round stops em in their tracks".  My experience up until now would have been well in favor of the .243 (still is).  But it just goes to show you that there are exceptions to just about everything.

Fubar

Reaction score
songdog  That is amazing. I was hunting deer one time in the Cleveland Forest. I was walking back to the truck when I came upon another hunter going to his truck. We were walkin and talking when we spotted a yote at about 100 yds. He popped off a shot from his 50 cal muzzleloader at the broadside dog and darned if he didnt hit it. That big buffalo bullet scattered innards all over the place but that dog did somersalts and stuff like you wouldnt believe. I was amazed at how it took that hit from a huge slug and could still run around. It didnt run far, but what a tough critter. Amazing.              Fubar

DanV

Reaction score
Sometimes they can continue on for awhile just on adreniline and or nerves. Shot a ground squirrel the other day at the end of a deer hunt. Remington 7mm mag with a 160 gr Partition right through the chest, nice quarter size hole. At first I thought I missed the damn thing, flipped around like a bad hit from a .22 rimfire. Figured just clipped him or close enough the shockwave from the bullet  blew him over, did not expect to find him as he was next to his hole. I know this is way over kill but after about 10 hunts with only seeing 5 or 6 deer  I took out my frustrations on the bushytailed rat. Shame on me!

Onefoot

Reaction score
I have hit coyotes in the bread basket with 06 and 54 cal mussel loader. All at different times though. Every one that was not a shoulder shot would do flipps and air born stunts too.

Just goes to show you the virility of the coyote.

Now I use a 22 hornet and it has seemed (so far) to stop them in thier tracks.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Songdog that must have been a site to see :laser-shoot:

Thonzberry

Reaction score
OK, I have to agree with Hook on this (LOL)::::confused-yellow::shootin::shootin::shootin:

Advertisement

Top Bottom