bat

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting frustrated with this cam!  Ok people help me out hopefully for the last time.  First let me say that I appreciate the help I have gotten trying to get mine to work properly.  Ok I am using the RS PIR, Canon PF setup.  Wired 5v relay to the #2 connection and the pir switch set in the chime pos.  I tested this thing before loading and it test Ok. Did have to press the shutter one time manually to get it going.  I load the film, connect the camera to the pir, turn on the camera, turn on the spst switch with the dpdt switch in test mode...get good signal, turn the switch to camera...nuthin.  I can turn the switch back to test, press the shutter button manually and take a picture then close the cam up, switch the dpdt back to cam and it works.  Now how do I get out of this problem.  Deer running all over my cam spot and can't get a picture....give me some help fellows!  Thanks.

swampfox

Reaction score
sounds to me like a loose connection on your cam,or on your dpdt switch.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are using the 3 dimensional drawing on Jesse's main page right?

Lets take what you said in you're post one thing at a time so we can be clear on exactly what's happening:

1.  I tested this thing before loading and it test Ok
Do you mean the Camera?  did you test it by shorting the wires together that comes out of the camera or pushed the shutter button?  
Note: you don't need film in the camera to test

2.  Did have to press the shutter one time manually to get it going
This is an indication that something is wrong because you should not have to do this for sure

3.  turn on the spst switch with the dpdt switch in test mode...get good signal
by good signal, Do you mean everytime the PIR senses motion, the LED comes on?  (after the 30 second PIR warmup)  You tested the LED with movement several times right?

4.  I can turn the switch back to test, press the shutter button manually and take a picture then close the cam up
what do you mean "Close the Cam Up"  ?

5.  switch the dpdt back to cam and it works
Do you mean it snaps one pix then nothing?

Do this test:
Take a piece of wire and short the 2 wires coming out of the camera together (I'm assuming you shorted pins 5/6 inside the camera) If you have a Jack or plug on the wires, unscrew the insulator and short the terminals you soldered to, with the wire

The Cam should flash everytime you short the 2 wires together (after the flash circuit charges back up (several seconds)

Yes - goto next step
NO - Wires inside camera not correct

If yes and you have a Jack/Plug, then plug in the PIR part and unscrew that insulator and touch those terminals together just like you did above.  (don't worry about the PIR still being attached, it won't hurt anything)

Does the Camera flash every time here?

Yes-PIR not working right
No - Plug/Jack malfunctioning

Let me know what happens

Tinhorn

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
TINHORN, I'M GETTING READY TO WIRE MY FIRST PF.  I'VE SUCCESSFULLY WIRE THE AF AND THE POLAROID 2400FF WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.  MY QUESTION IS CAN I SOLDER WIRES DIRECTLY TO THE #4,5, & 6 PINS.  THE PICS SHOW IT WIRED A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY.  I AM WANTING TO USE THE CAM INDEPENDENT OF THE HOUSING.  THANKS.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
S-A

That's what I do, wire directly to the Pins.  

A long time ago, I think it was Matt in Mo. mentioned using Mouse Cords for this, and it's what I've been using ever since.  Don't forget to Tin the Wire 1st and don't try to solder on the wire using a piece of solder.

Tinhorn

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn.  That's how I do my other cams.  Do you think that the 26 guage speaker wire would be ok?  I also have some mouse cord, but i have a hard time soldering it to a larger gauge wire, because it breaks off at the point of the wire insulation.  I read that someone else puts super glue at that point to prevent this.  I might have to try that.  Thanks.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
some heat shrink tubing from RS might act as a strain relief at the solder joint between the 2 wires.

am curious why you do that tho,  I run the wire out and solder directly to an Earphone plug.

If that 26 gauge is pretty flexable I bet it'll work pretty good.

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
I TOOK YOUR POST AND COPIED IT AND ANSWER I HOPE ALL YOUR QUESTIONS AFTER EACH ONE.  I TYPED THEM IN CAPS SO YOU COULD TELL WHERE I STARTED EACH ANSWER.  THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.  ITS REALLY BEEN PUZZLING BECAUSE IT WAS WORKING GREAT WHEN I FIRST BUILT IT.

I'm assuming you are using the 3 dimensional drawing on Jesse's main page right? YES EXACTLY LIKE THE DRAWING.

Lets take what you said in you're post one thing at a time so we can be clear on exactly what's happening:

1.  I tested this thing before loading and it test Ok
Do you mean the Camera?  did you test it by shorting the wires together that comes out of the camera or pushed the shutter button?  
Note: you don't need film in the camera to test  YES TO ALL.  I TOSSED A ROLL OF FILM I HAD IN IT BECAUSE ONLY PICTURES ON IT WERE OF ME TESTING AND RETESTING.  CHECKED IT WITHOUT FILM AND IT WAS DOING OK AT THIS POINT.

2.  Did have to press the shutter one time manually to get it going
This is an indication that something is wrong because you should not have to do this for sure. IT SHOWED DETECTION EVERY TIME IN THE TEST MODE, AFTER SWITCHING TO CAMERA MODE WOULD NOT TAKE A PICTURE WHEN MOVEMENT IN FRONT OF THE PIR.  I THEN PRESSED SHUTTER BUTTON ONE TIME AND IT STARTED TAKING PICTURES AFTER THAT.

3.  turn on the spst switch with the dpdt switch in test mode...get good signal
by good signal, Do you mean everytime the PIR senses motion, the LED comes on?  (after the 30 second PIR warmup)  You tested the LED with movement several times right?
RIGHT!  WORKED EVERY TIME! LED SHOWS IN TEST MODE EVERY TIME.  THE LED DOES BLINK ONE TIME DURING WARMUP IS THIS NORMAL?

4.  I can turn the switch back to test, press the shutter button manually and take a picture then close the cam up
what do you mean "Close the Cam Up"  ?  I HAD THE FRONT OF THE PELICAN OPEN TO PRESS SHUTTER BUTTON, LEFT IT OPEN AND BLOCKED PIR, IT WORKED, FLASH.

5.  switch the dpdt back to cam and it works
Do you mean it snaps one pix then nothing?
IT WAS WORKING AT THIS POINT!  I THEN WENT AND SET IT UP AT MY SITE, CHECKED THE TEST SEVERAL TIMES WAS DETECTED EVERY TIME. THIS MORNING HAD NO PICTURES TAKEN. DEER WERE ALL OVER THE CAMERA SITE WITHIN 15-20 FEET OF IT. IT WILL DETECT MOVEMENT OUT TO 22 STEPS ABOUT 66 FEET IN TEST MODE.  I WALKED IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA WOULD NOT GET A FLASH?  PUT IT IN TEST MODE, OPENED THE PELICAN UP PRESSED THE SHUTTER, FLASH.  CLOSED IT UP NOW IT'S WORKING AGAIN.  I LEFT IT ON ALL DAY AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING.  BUT WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS THE SHUTTER TO GET IT GOING?

Do this test:
Take a piece of wire and short the 2 wires coming out of the camera together (I'm assuming you shorted pins 5/6 inside the camera) If you have a Jack or plug on the wires, unscrew the insulator and short the terminals you soldered to, with the wire
THE 5/6 ARE SHORTED INSIDE THE CAMERA.  I HAD TAKEN 10 SHOTS BEFORE IT STARTED THIS STUFF, HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE STEREO PLUGS SO SNUFFCAN THEM AND NOW I'M USING TELEPHONE PLUGS TO CONNECT.  WHEN IT DOES NOT WANT TO WORK SHORTING THESE DOES NOT MAKE IT FLASH UNTIL AFTER I MANUALLY PRESS THE SHUTTER THEN YOU CAN SHORT THE WIRES AND THEY WILL MAKE IT FLASH.

The Cam should flash everytime you short the 2 wires together (after the flash circuit charges back up (several seconds)

Yes - goto next step
NO - Wires inside camera not correct

If yes and you have a Jack/Plug, then plug in the PIR part and unscrew that insulator and touch those terminals together just like you did above.  (don't worry about the PIR still being attached, it won't hurt anything)

Does the Camera flash every time here?

Yes-PIR not working right
No - Plug/Jack malfunctioning

Let me know what happens   IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING RIGHT NOW AFTER GETTING IT STARTED AGAIN.  I WILL TRY AGAIN TONIGHT AND SEE WHAT IT DOES.  LET YOU KNOW TOMORROW.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Bat,

It really sounds like a bad connection inside the camera.  I think maybe the "Pressure" of pressing the shutter button is deflecting the circuit board and disturbing the bad joint enough to make it work.....

Tinhorn

woodsman

Reaction score
Hi Bat , I wired up my second cam today and had problems my self , when I put the batteys in it the cam cept rewinding ,that was  just the beginning I found the problem then it started flashing dimly by itself and the counter went nuts ,talk about stress I ended up re soldering every thing over problem solved .   keep at it youl fix it

(Edited by woodsman at 8:23 pm on Feb. 19, 2002)

bat

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn and woodsman,
I will be starting on my next one this week.  I might as well redo the soldering on the one that's been a problem when I do the new one.  Thanks again.  

Keep the Sun to your back and the Wind in your face.

Stever

Reaction score
Guys I had major problems with solder connections until I received the very best advise on this site. Use the thinnest wires you can find! I have had no problem since I started using those thin wires found inside printer cables. Printer cable has 24 wires bundled in one cable. Wire is very thin and the solder joint connects very fast and strong. I have no idea what guage it is but probably something like 28 guage. Just my thought but I had no luck soldering phone wires or any thing that size.

bat

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
 I checked my cam this morning and again it was not working.  It worked great here at the house yesterday.  I went back and checked connections again in the camera and the connector coming from the switch and relay.  I think the problem is the wires I used (phone extention cord type wires) are just too small and are losing connection at the solder joints after a small amount of time.  The reason I say this is it was working when I carried it to the site then during the nite it loses connection.(would not flash when shorting out this morning)  I again resolder and it is working right now.  There appears to be different size wire in different brands of phone lines.  The one I put in the camera is very small fiber type wires.  I checked another line I have that has bigger wires in it and it should work well.  I'm getting it changed out today.  This should fix it!  Again Thanks for your input and help.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
bat, I use phone wires in my cams. They are #24 gauge seems to work very good. One thing you might try is that after you solder and test your cam, I take and hot glue melt my wires to the side of my camera so that they won't pull loose.Hope this helps.LOL

bat

Reaction score
THANKS TNDEERHUNTER,
 I do the same, hot glue at the hole the wires are coming out of the camera and along the wires.  The only difference is that I run mine just to the right of the film door on the back.  My camera has worked all day (tested it every so often to make sure it is taking pictures, gonna have a album full of myself hehe, but it's raining here today anyway so what the heck). I am in the process of building my second cam.  Another good wiring system I thought about today might be using a 4 wire Anolog computer plug to connect up the camera.  This wire is a pretty good wire and you could use three wires from the camera (cut the forth one off) to the plug and solder two wires together between the plug and the relay and switch, to allow the use of the two wire system and you could unplug the camera and use it with all it's functions for just normal picture taking if you wanted to.  Right now I'm planning on staying with the telephone wires but going to use bigger wire and they will be Copper!  

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
bat i'm having exactly the same problem. i thinks its the rs stero plug from radio shack. my cameras are in the woods now and i hope they are working but im going up this weekend to change the plugs in th efield. i had to manually press the shutter to gett um going but i can hear the shutter half firing from the relay so i don't think the plug is making proper conncection. at least i hope this is the problem.
gumbo

bat

Reaction score
Gumboyaya it could be in yours.  When I first started having problems it showed up as the rs plugs because I could get it to short out behind the plugs but not in front of them until I plugged and replugged a few times.  So I changed them to phone line connectors.  Thats when I got into a good problem with staying connected to the flimsy wire coming out of the camera I believe.  It was just to small for me to solder without damaging the wire is what I think now was going on.  It would work for awhile then lose the connection somehow.  I think I got a good enought connection today to finish my roll of film, then I'm going to rewire it.  I'll have another camera ready by Friday afternoon.  I'll find out then.  Weeeeeeeeeeee ain't this fun.

Trieu Pham

Reaction score
I use phone wire also and find that a phone jack is a quick disconnect for when you want to get the camera out for independent use.  Make sure you use braided phone wire instead of single-strand.  It's a lot sturdier.  Using a hot screwdriver melts a hole in the camera back just the right size for the wire to snake through also.

bat

Reaction score
Thanks to all,
My Cam is working again.  It looks like I should have a two pictures of two deer and one dog last night.  Ok some tips for anybody having problems.  #1 It is very apparent that you need at least two cams so you can interchange a Camera from one to the other to help in troubleshooting, so they need to be made as close as possible to one another.  If they are not exactly alike try to make sure the Cameras are wired the same at least.  #2 make sure that you describe your problem with as much detail as to what is the problem.  #3 Detail the cam, how it's constructed (parts used, where you put the relay #2 pin or the speaker wire, where you have the sensor switch, alarm or chime, what size wire that you are using, what kind of wire you are using, etc.)  #4 Important:  what changes did you make just before or during the problem.  You get the idea:  I failed to mention to Tinhorn that I had cut off my RS stereo plug and soldered in the phone male plug.  Sorry about that Tinhorn.  That might have given you another tip as to where I was having the problem.  That was the point of my camera failing.  I kept losing this soldering point, why I still can't figure out, it would work till I put in at the site then quit??  Anyway Tinhorn and others kept me searching till I found it.  Thanks friends!  Sorry about being long and windy.

(Edited by bat at 8:55 am on Feb. 21, 2002)

(Edited by bat at 9:03 am on Feb. 21, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hey Bat!

Nice write up on Trouble Shooting Tips

I moved your tips over to the Random Thoughts Post

Thanx

Tinhorn

Top Bottom