NW Nebraskans told half of region's deer herd may be killed.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Northwest Nebraskans told half of region's deer herd may be killed.

3/7/02

CRAWFORD, Neb. (AP) - Half the deer population in northwest Nebraska may have to be killed over the next five years to help contain a fatal disease, wildlife officials said.

Increased hunting would help thin the 3,500 deer believed to be in the area, officials of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission told more than 170 people gathered Wednesday to hear about the problem.

Reaching that goal could include extending the firearm deer season in Sioux and western Dawes counties from 10 days to 4 1/2 months - from Oct. 28 to March 15, wildlife officials said.

The first cases of chronic wasting disease in Nebraska were confirmed in the past two years - three in the southern Panhandle and nine in the northern Panhandle.

The disease also has been seen in Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and Wisconsin. It is fatal to deer and elk, but has not been shown to be harmful to livestock or people.

Colorado agriculture officials have killed more than 500 captive elk exposed to the disease, and 900 more were expected to be killed by March 11. Officials said that should rid the state's captive herds of the disease.

Commission director Rex Amack said increased hunting in northwest Nebraska is a radical plan. Wildlife division director Jim Douglas said results of the first year could lead to changes in the length of the season.

Landowners expressed concerns of trespassing during winter feeding and calving periods.

Douglas said the comments will be considered before a final plan is submitted to the commission's board next week.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
They may have not found a connection for infection of people, but I still wouldn't want any part of those deer.  I'm probably just being a nervous Nelly, but I've seen those cow with it and it looks nasty.

Good article, thanks for posting it.

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom