O'ahu Flats Fly Fishing

map

MAY 2006 TRIP

This Goat Fish was caught during May 2006 while fly fishing for Bonefish on Oahu.
The tackle was packed in my luggage. This fish took a #4 Clouser Flats Deep Minnow.
The fly rod was a 4 piece St. Croix #8 Travel Rod, and the fly reel was a Pflueger Medalist.

Nervous Waters Fly Shop in Honolulu has been a great help.

JANUARY 2008 TRIP

The diver behind us speared this fish, and we are holding it up for him:

Getting ready for a beach burger at the Hilton Hawaiian Village:

My favorite fly for O’ahu Flats

bzzboyz

Excellent. It's amazing how many different things there are to do in such a small state. Can't wait to get back there.

map

My son and I are on our way to Honolulu for a week of fly fishing the O'ahu Flats. Hope to have some good pics when we get back, but it's hard to carry a camera out there where we fish. Sometimes the waves go over the top of us. Not to mention the 1000 pound Tiger Sharks that patrol the shallow water inside the reef.

Catch you later,

Richard

map

Nothing worth bragging about this trip. We caught and released plenty of colorful tropical fish in the 8” to 10” class, with Wailupe Beach Park being the best of the Beach Parks. At Wailupe we walked down the beach past a bright blue roof and started wading out at the bright orange roof. There is a sand channel there where the bones travel into the beach. Bone Fish seem to be a special prize for fly fishermen.

During this trip we tried the $60 bottom fishing charter out of Kewalo Basin located at the west end of Ala Mona. They picked us up in front of our hotel and had a big BBQ dinner ready for us when we arrived at the boat. The dinner was cooked on board and was a very heavy lunch. (2 scopes of rice, 2 BBQ hamburger patties, 1 BBQ hot dog, and it was all covered with Spanish style beans.

With full bellies we motored out past Diamond Head until we were about even with Waimanalo. On the way one guy caught a nice Yellow Fin Tuna while trolling the back corner of the boat. There are only 2 back corners, so we will make sure that we sit there next time. When we finally started bottom fishing we all caught reef fish during the darkness. On the way back to Kewalo the BBQ was fired up again, and all the fish that we had caught were BBQ’ed, and we ate them all except the tuna. That fish was donated to the needy. I had promised the guy at the hotel that I would supply him with a bag of fish, but I hadn’t planned on the entire crew eating them all. Tropical reef fish are the best eating fish around with some being a little mushy, but most are nice and firm. They were BBQ’ed with a special Hawaiian coating.

That charter is not a JHO sponsor yet, so you will have to find if yourselves. However, all of the travel agents at Waikiki sell that $60 Bottom Fishing Trip. Make sure that you are plenty hungry before you arrive.

Richard

HIhunter

Hey Mapmaker,

I fly fish that spot as well. If you are over here again let me know I'd be up for doing some fishing. Lately I've been going for more conventional fishing, but I'd like to try flyfishing again.

map

Hey Mapmaker,

I fly fish that spot as well. If you are over here again let me know I'd be up for doing some fishing. Lately I've been going for more conventional fishing, but I'd like to try flyfishing again.
We are off to Hawaii again next week for some fly fishing. Will probably be fishing the O'ahu Flats for O'io (bone fish). I'm not a millionaire, just a retired airplane mechanic with travel benefits. We stay at the Seaside Hotel at Waikiki if any Hawaiian JHO guys want to meet. Quite a few gals enjoy fly fishing now-a-days, and attached are a couple of action shots of my wife. We have taken what seems like hundreds of action shots, so that she can analyze her casting style. I more or less follow her around the island, because of the Hawaiians telling her where to fish. It really make a difference, and have noticed that when I fish alone over there, I don't do as well. We have to miss May Day, because of her job wants her there on Friday.

Attachments

map

Hi all,

We made it back okay, and without catching the Swine Flu. My wife and I are active fly fishermen, so the first place we headed for was Wailupe Beach Park (near Hawaii Kai). The park its self was beat up pretty bad, and they are blaming the Micronesian group for all the damage. So, with my wife being a Pacific Islander herself, we decided it would be best to avoid the place. During our visit to the park a spear fisherman had a sink full of large fish, so Wailupe is still good.

Our second best flats on O’ahu is across the highway from Kualoa Ranch, but rather than stalking fish out in the hot sun we decided on trying our hand at surf fishing while in the shade of the small trees along the shore. I do pretty good while fly fishing that stretch for O’io (bonefish), but I need a lot of help with my surf fishing . I have an old Mitchell 486 that I picked up cheap at a flea market. It’s a big heavy spinning reel and the spool holds over 200 yards of 25 pound test line. I like it because of the super fast retrieve that avoids snagging the coral heads. With the 25 pound main line I chose 20 pound 36”double drop surf leaders. The type with two loops for snelled hooks and a bottom snap for a sinker. We were shopping at Sports Authority in Honolulu on Ward Street, and I picked up a real nice 11 foot surf rod for $25, which we gave to the maid at the hotel when we returned home. For Snelled Hooks they carry South Bend with very lite looking monofilament leaders not suited for large fish. I bought #2 sizes, and a few #4 packs also. For sinkers I chose #4, but it seemed too heavy for O’io for which I was told to let them run with the bait and swallow the hook. For bait we were using frozen boxes of Calamari (ika) cut into strips.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we didn’t catch a single fish all week, and I’m ready to completely scrap out that surf setup and start again with something that will catch fish. I did find out about 2 new DVD’s on Hawaiian Shore Fishing. Here is the link:

http://www.shorefishinghawaii.com/
<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

map

Hello,

I've kept this thread going since 2006, and had a lot of good fishing tips posted. Thanks guys. I'll be back fly fishing the Oahu Flats again next week. That will be the week after Easter Sunday.

The early morning low tides look good for that stretch of flats along Kualoa Ranch, so I will probably hit there first if the wind isn't too bad. I like the dude ranch activities during the day.

Wailupe Beach Park has been good to me in the past, plus the early morning wind and sun on my back helps me cast. However, that place seems to be picked over before I get there in the morning.

Will try a new fly during this trip. The "Translushrip Fly" tied by "Honolulu Gator". That fly can be ordered from Orvis.

Richard

TonyS

Map,
It is good to see you on here again. Been a while. I envy your travel miles especially to such a great destination.

The 'for hire' boats in Hawai'i are rigged to benefit the boat and crew not the guy paying. The one time I went I was assured I could fish my own gear (which I brought) but the captain had a problem with it. Then he bragged 'we have billfish here' and I said, 'so what, we do too. I'm not interested in those'. Then he yelled at me when I went to pick up one of two rods that went off when wahoo hit. Of course all fish caught went to the crew to sell dockside.

I sure wouldn't pay for that again.

Good fishing and catch one of those O'io for me. They have to be as much fun as corbina.

Last edited:

map

2011 Easter Trip Report

The horrific winds didn't allowed my wife to flyfish the flats for Bonefish during this trip. She does pretty good out on the flats when there is only a slight breeze, so maybe we will try again during our next Hawaiian vacation.

Our backup option was to purchased a cheap surf rod and spinning reel for $29 at Sports Authority on Ward Street in Honolulu. It turned out to be a Shakespear combo beauty with a bright yellow spinning reel, and we gave it to the hotel staff when we returned home. We had planned on casting a large popper lure off the rocks for Ulua, Giant Trevally, & Omilu, but that also proved to be too strenuous for my wife in the strong winds.

Here was our secret inventory of Popper Lures:

(2-4 oz size for use with cheap discount store surf rods)

1. Uluaz-Emperor "Jalapeno" ($28.99 USD) 10 inches/4.5 ounces.

2. Kaku-"Black" Style 00 ($15.95 USD) 7 inches/2.75 ounces. Handmade in Hawaii USA.

3. OTI Komodo Popper "Glow-in-the-dark" ($22.99 USD) 7 inches/4.5 ounces.

4. Yo-Zuri Surface Bull GT "Purple/Black" ($34.99 USD) 7-3/4 inches/3-1/2 Ounces.

5. Yo-Zuri Sashimi Bull "Flying Fish" ($27.99 USD) 5-7/8 inches 2-1/2 ounces.

There is a nice blue channel directly across the road from Sea Life Park that comes right into the rocks behind the public park restroom. When we arrived we found the local Hawaiians with a permanent canopy setup there, plus they had a lot of fishing lines casted out. I tried a few casts farther down from them, but a homeless Hawaiian had his tent setup in the brush behind us. My wife was beginning to question my sanity for horning in on the Hawaiians, so we moved on.

Barber's Point and Campbell Industral Park would have been our best bet for casting the large Popper lures because of the winds being on our backs, but after remembering the broken glass in the parking lot during previous trips, we ruled it out. Our rental car was a nice brand new Chevy Camero, and our chances of getting another Camero if that one got smashed would have been pretty slim.

Anyway, we ended up at the Heeia public fishing pier in Kane'ohe. They were doing pretty good for a public fishing pier when we arrived. The minimum size for most of the reef fish is now 10 inches, and one guy did have a bucket full of legal size fish. We used a #4 hook with half a shrimp to make sure that we didn't hook the small reef fish, but of course, during our 2 days of fishing off the public pier nothing came by that was big enough for a large hook. In Kane'ohe Bay the schools of fish swim around quite a bit, so fishing off the pier depends on timing.

All and all, at least the small reef fish had a feast keeping our hooks cleaned off. The Beach Bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village was pouring out a strong Mai Tai last week. I find it amazing how they pour heavy when the place is empty. Must be the bad economy, or something?

Here are pictures of my favorite Hawaiian Poppers:

Uluaz Emperor Jalapeno.JPGKaku Lures Style 00.jpgOTI Komodo Popper.jpgYo Zuri Sashimi Bull.jpgYo Zuri Surface Bull GT.jpg

inchr48

I've got one of the Yo-Zuri poppers that I throw for Muskies. I love tossing it off the end of a rocky point, over the first major brake line. A couple good chugs, then hang on!

Top Bottom