Oahu...

smudge

Reaction score
Just moved to Oahu... Well sort of... I'm deployed right now but will return with my ship in a few weeks. Just wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction as to who to talk to about pig hunting on the island... Thanks much in advance...

-Matt

Glass eye

Reaction score
Inter-island airfare ain't too much $ and a weekend on the Big Island would be more productive.

One Track

Reaction score
Smudge:

Hey Buddy. Glad you are getting close to getting settled. Hoping to visit you when you get that place figured out.

By the way folks, Smudge is a glass act and a great hunting partner. He shared a lot with me in the duck blind this past season.

Matt, cruise through the Hog Forum and look for post from EvBouret and Doc Cherry. Those guys are hula hog killers, and always have fun adventures to share with us mainlanders.

Brent

EvBouret

Reaction score
Im moving to Oahu in september...I'll be trying to figure things out as well. I have heard the Pali is a good area for archery with a few pigs here and there. For the most part Oahu's hunting and fishing is crap compared to the outer islands. I'm sure the public land there is still more fruitful than SoCal. A weekend on the BI could have you killin feral sheep, mouflon sheep, goats, pigs and cows if you're hardcore. Plenty birds too in season (Winter for birds, march for turkeys).

Looks like you're a fisherman, real fun shorefishing here in Hawaii. Again, Oahu is a little fished out compared to the outerislands. There are still some fish to be had though. I've heard the o'io fishing is good in Kaneohe on the right tides if you can get a boat or kayak out to the flats. They're wadeable although kinda deep.

smudge

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Thanks Brent for the endorsement, you know you'll be getting a call once I've got it down. I expect to have you, Brent, Marcus and Nate over here at one time or another in the next few years. I'm going to try to get Mike's sorry butt over but I'm sure that'll be like pulling teeth!!

EvBouret, I fish a lot. I can't wait to get my household goods unpacked and get my yak in at Kaneohe. I've seen pictures of slug o'io pulled out of there. My buddies in FL will cry if I get into a 10lb'er!! That's an absolute giant for the Keys but I guess not totally uncommon over here...

I've already been spearfishing on the Kaneohe MCB and can't wait to get the rest of the Island down....

cmnalo

Reaction score
You should stop by the Department of Land and Natural Resource- Oahu Divsion of Forestry and Wildlife office on Makiki Heights Drive. You can get all the maps and info there. Ask to talk with one guys in the Wildlife section. They can give you a bit more information than the printed material has.
Without dogs, hunting pigs on Oahu can be pretty tuff. You may want to think about goat hunting in the Waianae Range. There are some areas in Waianae Kai that have a fairly good number of goats. However, expect some hard hiking to get to them.
Also, check out the Oahu Pig Hunter Association meeting you may be able to link up with somebody that has dogs.
If you got a 4WD take a spin up to Kuaokala WMA. There's lots of game birds and pigs up there. You'll need to get a hunting license to get through the bottom gate at Yokohama Bay.
Good Luck

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
I agree with the above mentioned. Dogs will help you get on hogs on most place off Oahu. Although there is places like Mililani gulch, Backside of waihiawa, Valley area of Pacific palisades behind Pearl city, Puu hapa mountains west of schofield barracks near kolekole pass (military) for you since you are military. Dogs is a key factor on Oahu. Waianae- Maile beach is my home. I never hunted the Pali side but heard some positives in the valley area thats hard to get to.Good luck.

map

Reaction score
Hello smudge,

As a retired airline I flyfish over their quite often, so I post at their ulua-fishing forum. My handle over their is, “airline”, and I have noticed that some of the guys post boar hunting pictures. The Hawaiians are very friendly, so just jump in and talk to them. I get private email from them all the time. Here is the link:

http://www.ulua-fishing.com/forum/index.php

I started a thread is in their, “Log in your catch” section that is titled “Oahu Flats”

Richard

map

Reaction score
smudge,

I forgot to mention that the Hunting Gallery is a couple of threads above my thread. There are plenty of pictures. Besides the pigs and goats there is a feral and trespass cattle hunt that has been going on in the Hilo watershed. Pictures are on page 3 of that thread.

Richard

smudge

Reaction score
Thanks again every one!! I'm still stuck at sea for a few weeks but as soon as I get beack I'm going to get in gear to figure these pigs out. Same for the goats and gamebirds!

Top Bottom