Oaks

Rossco

Reaction score
What do you find the best way to determine the difference between a red oak and a white oak tree?  Besides the leeves what is the easiest way to find out witch is witch?

troll

Reaction score
White oaks tend to have acorns that are less bitter than red oak.  Go out and find both by their leaves while they're still on and have a taste of each.  I think you'll quickly notice the difference.  Otherwise, look up at the tree.  If you've ever seen the criss-cross pattern two skiers make on a hill, the red oak has that type of pattern on the bark farther up the tree with dark lines.  The best idea is to get a field guide such as Peterson's or even National Audubon's.  National Audubon's has actual pictures of both bark and leaves.  Some guides even have sillouette identification.  Good luck.

(Edited by troll at 7:29 am on Oct. 2, 2001)

StringShooter

Reaction score
If you get a chance, search for "white oak trees" on yahoo. There is a ton of information that you can research.

bigmandude

Reaction score
around here the bark on a white oak is much lighter in color. also the acorns are much larger, about 3 times the size of a red oak.  white oak acorns have a longer oval shape where red oaks have almost round acorns.

so far this year i havent seen any white oaks dropping acorns yet but red oaks started here about 3 weeks ago.

ToledoBend

Reaction score
Even without any leaves, I can identify the white oaks in my area by the bark.  The white oak's bark seems "flaky", like you could peel off chunks of it.  Kind of like pine bark but real light.  I hope this description makes sense after you look at one.  I can't be sure about a red oak, to me the bark looks like a lot of other hardwood trees, nut baring (bearing?) and none nut baring.

gtk

Reaction score
i'm wafing at tinhorn.

easiest way 4 me to identify.. bark and acorn size, plus all the deer tracks under the whiteoak trees

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom