Obama risks embarrassing loss in Congress

easymoney

Reaction score
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is taking a risk by asking Congress to approve airstrikes against Syria. The potential payoff is that he’ll win the kind of vote that signals broad popular support, giving him a stronger hand in facing Syrian President Bashar Assad and perhaps other dictators later in such regimes as Iran.
But there are military and political risks in the process.

Militarily, a desperate Assad could use the time while Obama waits for a Congressional debate to launch another chemical weapon attack, either in his own country or elsewhere in the Middle East, turning a civil war into a regional conflict. “Ultimately, I think he felt he was going to be a target from both the left and the right if he did it alone, and with few significant allies overseas, I don’t think he wanted to be isolated,” said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion at Marist College in New York. “This puts the ball in Congress’s court and they either join and he gets policy and political cover or they oppose.”
Just days ago, British Prime Minister David Cameron suffered a stunning defeat when Parliament rejected participating in any attack on Syria. Obama believes Congress will approve the resolution, though the White House has not counted votes, according to senior administration officials speaking on the condition of anonymity as a matter of White House policy.

But, the officials also said Obama does not rule out acting on his own if lawmakers fail to act. If that happened, he would only further antagonize a divided Congress that already rejects many of his proposals.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/08/31/200963/obama-risks-embarrassing-loss.html#.UiOS_Dbn-Ul This is indeed what happens when one puts their mouth in gear without engaging their brain...

Common Sense

Reaction score
It just could be he wants his plan rejected?????????????????

easymoney

Reaction score
I don't think so. He is just so arrogant that he thinks he will get his way no matter what. How wrong can one be if you have all bases covered? Me thinks barry has been caught in another reality check and has to account for his imperialist edict or his legal run through Congress. Both of which bring up the lies he has already spoken... Lifes a beetch and then you die. Barry has a very long way to go. Each of words will come back to haunt him...

P304X4

Reaction score
Read that Rand Paul is giving 50/50 chance the resolution will pass... have to wait and see. Barry has ran his mouth now he has to back it up or be the Mid-East whipping boy.

mr sunset

Reaction score
oh, please let it be whipping boy, please let it be whipping boy. that's exactly what the US needs. Is to see barry fail as their leader and savior. I have never had such disrespect for a president be he is no leader. I can't stand looking at him. how sad is that

Rob P.

Reaction score
It just could be he wants his plan rejected?????????????????
I believe this is the case. It's the only way he can save face and avoid getting involved in Syria. If congress says no and polls show no support he can back away and say it's OUR fault he can't intervene.

JVC

Reaction score
I believe the real aim of Barack Husain Obama is to continue his crusade to advance the Muslim Brotherhood and weaken or disadvantage Israel. Everything he has done in the Middle East supports this. Under his leadership and protection radical Islam has made sweeping gains. Chemical weapons is only the trumped-up excuse or staged media event to help his Brotherhood. When this is done, Obama will have done what "he" wanted to do and the Muslim Brotherhood will be the head of government in Syria. Oh...and when's the last time you saw him go for congressional support for anything? He's going for a 2fer...get his Brotherhood in and dogs shit the republicans for 2016. With the House back and no checks and balances he will truly be unchained. If you want a peak into the crystal ball just check out the historical behavior of African dictators....it makes Chicago politics look like child's play. American women better wake up and stop supporting this fool.

Marty

Reaction score
I think someone pointed out that his aggressive posturing was too similar to the characteristics of his predecessor; who the Democrats severely criticized.
Now, he wants Congress to absorb the responsibility for inaction so he can save face.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
He is shifting the blame off himself, no matter which way it unfolds.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I believe this is the case. It's the only way he can save face and avoid getting involved in Syria. If congress says no and polls show no support he can back away and say it's OUR fault he can't intervene.
I don't think he is as stupid as we think he is. He's figured out that the "cross the red line" remark was a mistake. He can't get support from our allies, so he will let the Congress say no, and therefore he is not a liar. It is all that no good right wing congress' fault he can't attack.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom