OC rabbit hunting

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Where would be the closest rabbit hunting be to Orange County?

I need to get out and do some rabbit shooting and would like to find somewhere I could go after work.  I know that the Cleveland NF is close, but sometimes it's just to thick and dense?

Any suggestions?

T F Coyote

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the Cleveland NF is the only place to legally hunt in OC.  

The one exception to this rule would be private land.  However, most large open spaces in OC are owned by the Irvine Co., and their policy is "don't bother asking."

If you find otherwise, let me know.  We could hook up for some backyard bunnies.

machine

Reaction score
hunting in OC? i would love that!!!
i think the closest place would be Riverside? witch is now too hot!
Highway 74 is a bit thick with brush though,
i've been up there many time and didn't see very may rabbits? (or none)

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Looks like you all have run into the same problems I have - CNF is too brushy and thick.  I've been trying to get some more info from the DFG concerning the property off of Coal Canyon exit in the 91.

Here is what I know so far:

COAL CANYON ECOLOGICAL RESERVE
952 acres, Orange County
(760) 751-4023

Coal Canyon ER was established in 1994 to protect a rare Tecate cypress forest and other plant species found in the area. Found just west of the Riverside-Orange County line, Coal Canyon ER is situated on the south side of Interstate Highway 91 where valley quail and rabbit hunting is allowed, but only archery and shotgun equipment is permitted to respect nearby residential communities. Although mule deer can occasionally be seen in the canyon, deer hunting is not allowed. Deer can be taken, however, within the boundaries of the Cleveland National Forest located just east of the southernmost tip of Coal Canyon.

Coal Canyon is accessed from Corona through the Cleveland National Forest, with admittance provided by Riverside County Department of Transportation via a locked gate. A key deposit is required (909-955-1814), and access information can be obtained from the Cleveland National Forest at (909) 736-1811.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">It sure sounds like a hassle - but that's what everyone else might think too.  Maybe (?) only a few others have ever gotten the key and tried the area.  Might be our honey hole.  JHP attacks the canyon!</font>

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'll look into this a bit more and find some more info for us.

lintongb

Reaction score
Fullsack,
That would be nice.  I was in CNF on Saturday morning off the 15 fwy.  Slim pickin's.  You can tell the water is sparse.  I didn't see any coyotes or quail.  I only saw and harvested one rabbit.  While driving home on the 91 I was looking at Gypsum canyon Rd.  Do you or anyone know anything about access from that road or is it along the same lines as Coal Canyon?  Are you allowed to walk into the area from the gate or do you need a key regardless?

GSP

Reaction score
Orange County --- What a Horrible place , For that matter ---California --- Sucks--- The state has a real bad desease... Over infestation of humans

T F Coyote

Reaction score
GSP,

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion, the way in which you express it is insulting and rude.

Orange County is our home because we choose to live here.  What it lacks in hunting opportunities, it more than makes up for in good weather, great schools, and other outdoor recreation.  These things are better for my family, and that is more important than my pastimes (I know some of us hunt out of necessity for food, but to me it is a pastime).

As for California, I know it is over-crowded and over-legislated.  But, just as others have stated on different threads, I'd rather stay and fight for what is right, than let California fall completely into the hands of the "Antis."  

You're welcome to criticize California, Orange County, and me, but I ask that you use a little tact in doing so.

machine

Reaction score
i'm from O/C as well.
and i wish all the people that complain about Califonrina, or O/C would LEAVE!
or just stay in there state, where they belong!
we'll keep our beaches, moutains, and deserts.
and they can keep there hores fly, and humidity!
i don't think i've seen Idho on any postcards???

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I too live in OC and live here because of the diversity if offers.  The beaches, the mountains, the desert - all within two hours!  I love OC because of its conservative roots and forward thinking.  Give me another county who could survive a bankruptcy a few years ago and have basically no effects from the national economy!  Do you think people flock here by the millions because it's cheap?  Yeah right, they flock here because it's heaven on earth.

Pasco

Reaction score
I hate to get back on topic here, but Fullsack, any luck on that Coal Canyon loc?  I was out shooting at Prado last night and with the longer daylight in the summer one could hunt out there 'til dark and shoot some clays after that, Prado is open 'til 9PM during the week.

machine

Reaction score
hay GSP,
you're name wouldn't be Dave R. would it?
you sound like someone that use to live by me in Dana Point, that moved to Falbrook?

GSP

Reaction score
TF Coyote , In response to your post--- Give me a break ...Are you a communist? a hypocrite?. My opinion was not directed to you personaly sire.  To quote your words   .... " critisize" "rude " "Insulte"... Stop your crying.
  What do you call the orange county people that come to the area where I live every weekend in riverside county and destroy our quail hunting areas with their dirt bikes and dump their trash and broken beer bottles in our beautiful rual areas. You want to talk rude and insulting....
  Machine...In response to your post ... Im sure you are Not welcomed in Idaho .

Rick

songdog

Reaction score
Boy, boys... we're all on the same side here.  Idaho is a great place - I hunt and fish there every year.  SoCal too, provides more opportunities than most out of staters would expect when it comes to hunting and fishing.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  There's always a trade off.  From my experience, the non hunters in Idaho are just as bad as the non hunters here in CA... we just have more of them here in CA.

As far as Coal Canyon goes - I use to hunt there in the early 80s.  When I was living in Laguna Niguel, a friend knew the land owner and had a key to the gate just off the freeway.  It was nice to have a place to hunt/shoot that close to home.  A couple of years ago they turned it into a park which just about killed my friend.  The hunting there was so-so.  My friend took a couple of deer out of there each year but they were normally small.  There were a few coveys of quail here and there but not a ton.  

I don't think that you can hunt there any more although I think that it does touch the Nat'l Forest and you could use that as an access area.

machine

Reaction score
go back to Idaho!!!
And you stop crying, and pick up the trash
And you're the communist! (keep the land open just for what you like, hunting. And close it for the dirt bikers?) look who's the hypocrite!

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
GSP,  please lets try to act alittle more civilly. The way you our displaying your displeasure is insluting to everyone. I am not saying we should not have lively discussions, the board is meant for that, but in a more polite manner.

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 2:25 pm on Aug. 1, 2002)

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
SoCalxJR

I was also at Prado last night.  I was there about 7:30 shooting trap on field 4.  Brought a friend who has never shot before - he's getting ready for dove opener.

I plan on getting out there about twice a week until the 1st.

Pasco

Reaction score
We must have just about tripped over each other, I was shooting skeet with a guy and his son, I believe it was field 6.  We should gather some OC guys to shoot during Aug. I'm good for at least 1 night a week.  I'll be out of town 'til Tuesday, keep in touch, I need practice.

vdhak9navy

Reaction score
Good afternoon to all. I use to hunt the CNF back in the 70's and 80's, before the locked gates. My Question is why is there now locked gate when we pay for it with our state taxes, it National Forest Land and we should have access to it. WE need to send some letters to Sacramento and ask why the locked gate in the first place. There is tons of Quail and Deer, and Yotes, and some of the best Bantailed pigions up there. I would really like to hear for the Gov., as to why they have lock out the People who pay for it. I mean why should we have to pay for it out of taxes and not have the right to use it. The fee for the Key to all the CNF gates use to be $100.00 deposit, when you return the Key you get the $100.00 back. This is just food for thought, and I sure hope to see you in the field.

Top Bottom