off to school

rtin

Reaction score
Well the day has finally come and me and my family are happy but then again sad
.Our lab pup "ICE" is off to a trainer for a month to start and it won't be the same around the house without him watching him play with the kid's and intensely watching his duck hunting videos,and the excitement when he see's me put on my boots or go for the gun locker. At 8 months old it's time for the fun to start and when he comes home he should be all buisiness when it comes to his bird's and all house dog when it comes to the family wish him luck.

Huntin' Foo'

Reaction score
Rtin,

I'm in a similiar spot with my 4 yo GSP. I usually send her to the trainer for a tune up before the seasons starts. I'll be bringing her up there on August 1st and I'm already dreading the month or two she'll be gone. Never thought I could get so attached to a dog.

Foo'

superduty

Reaction score
rtin, our GSP should be graduating next month so we feel for you when it comes to missing the addition to the family. Our 11yr old GSP has been awfully lonely and the kids have been giving the cats extra attention instead of the dogs.
Good Luck with your dog Ice and just concentrate on what your going to get in return of the absence.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Superduty

I know your dogs at Gameland kennel for her training. Hows she coming along ? Do you go down often ? and do you get to see her and other dogs work ?

The reason I ask is one of the people that got a pup from me has his pup at Gameland also. I was wondering if you've seen him. He's a 7 month old liver GSP pup named Trigger. He was a very nice bold pup with lots of style last I saw him.

Hope your pups doing good.

Larry

Mt Goat

Reaction score
rtin

Your pup getting this needed training is only a short part of his life. You'll be glad when its done, and your able to hunt over your him. If you get a chance try to get out to the trainers place and learn as much as you can, so you can keep progressing the pup forward when you get him home. Good luck, and have fun.

Larry

rtin

Reaction score
Larry,I plan on going out 1 or 2 time per week like we have been for the past four months mostly volunteering my time with the trainer helping with setup, throwing marks,handling other dogs and working mine in when there is time so I have learned alot over the past few months.Now the trainer has time to fit my dog in for for a month for f/f,c/c,formal o/b and marking skills alot to do in a month but ICE catches on very quickly and hopefully he will benefit from his stay away from home and has the basics down for his first season.I know he is not a POINTER but I guess he will have to do
,really enjoy reading your posts and checking out your training pictures.RTIN

pbrdog

Reaction score
I realize that sending your dog to school makes them a well trained dog. The dogs i've hunted with here in Ca never went to school and it was the best hunting I've ever had. They pointed and retrieved downed birds like it was a natural thing to do. I'm just curious, does sending them to school make that much difference? I've only hunted with Weimaraners though too. I had a buddy who spent like $3000 to put his lab through school. I'm sure she would have been an excellent dog, but tragedy happened and she's not with us anymore. Like I mentioned, does it, and is it worth the $'s to do this?

RANCHKID

Reaction score
Rtin, I know how you feel; last year when we went on vacation and couldn't take Rocket it was hard on my family too. He was just over a year old and spent a month at the kennel out in AZ where we got him. But, as one neighbor noticed, he 'went away a boy and came home a man.'

It's all good.

The last post raises a good question about whether all of this is necessary; I guess it all depends on what you want your dog to do, how far you want to go with your training, how much time/$$ you have personally to do it, and how much confidence/knowledge you have to get it done.

superduty

Reaction score
MtGoat, from what I hear Roxy is doing very good. Pattrick said he was very proud of her advancement and one month into training said she was a easily a 20yd dog. Jennifer goes to see her this Saturday and also has had a chance to see her work in the field with live birds over the gun. She came home with tears in her eyes expressing how impressed and proud she was of the dog. I personnally have not made a trip out to Norco to see Roxy but am looking forward to running her this season next to my older dog on some birds. When my dog was there getting trained I was there almost every weekend including acouple of times a week but it's not the same now that I'm married and were raising two wild camanchie boys. Roxy is Jennifers first and I know through my own experiences that she will be shedding many more tears of joy watching how beautifull and amazing those GSP's are in the field and at home. We will be picking up another pup soon so we will be able to have two young GSP's at our disposal for those longer trips out. I will have her read your post and ask around about your friends dog trigger. Thank's for asking.

MexHunter

Reaction score
One of the advantages of putting a dog with a pro is the owner is also trained in the process. Training a retriever to a Master level takes knowlege, skill and hard work. Much of the knowlege can be obtained in the many good manuals available, but only experience can give one the skill for applying the correct timing and degree of pressure. Also, because of work and family obligations, many people do not have the time to properly train their dog. When kenneled at the pro, the pup does not have the mixed signals of field training and family life.

A friend recently attended a seminar with a very prominent National level pointer trainer. In his presentation, he suggested pointer trainers spend time with retriever trainers to observe complexity of training and see the control the retreiver owners expected from their dogs.

There are so many concepts to teach to a retriever. Besides quartering and steadiness on upland hunting, the dog must learn to make multiple marked retrieves and handle to an unseen bird. They must learn to avoid suction and know when they are under their own control or have to obey the handler. Check down birds, in-lines, hip pockets and water honesty are all concepts that usually take years not months to master.

If planning to buy a pup to send to a trainer, be sure to spend the extra few hundred dollars to get a quality pedigree behind it. Make sure to contact the trainer and get a reservation several months in advance. The good trainers tend to be booked solid.

Russ

rtin

Reaction score
pbrdog and RANCHKID, Just what Russ posted our dog has become a close family member and how do you put a price on that.It is also known that a dog can be misguided and ruined very easy and being that this is my first hunting dog I have been very careful so not to make any mistakes now that it's time for the crutial part of training ie f/f,c/c I only want what is best for the dog so off he goes to a very respectable trainer.

Idaho Ron

Reaction score
A couple of questions, Supeduty. What is a 20 yard dog and what breed are we talking about? And to all, what does it cost you guys for a month of training?
Ron

d trees

Reaction score
RT

No worry's brutha that dog of yours is going to come back eager to learn more when he gets back to you and will make your training a whole lot easier to build on what the trainer has done for your pup .
,d

superduty

Reaction score
Idaho Ron, when I said 20yd dog I was making reference to how far away she would be from a bird before making a confirmed steady point. In other words, she is showing signs of having a really good nose. My dog's are GSP's or German Shorthair Pointers and school costs us alittle over $500.00 a month. Hope this answered your questions.

Idaho Ron

Reaction score
Superduty, thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe you had a flushing dog that was working at 20 yards.
I noticed last year that my GSP (nine months old last year in September) would have a stand up tall point. This point was not real intense, this point was her long range point. as we worked up she would stop on sage hens at about 40 yards give or take. This point would be SUPER INTENSE. This worked well for them because they were quite spooky. On chukar she would do the same thing but she would Realy lock down at about 30 yards. Once and a while she would be as close as 20 yards but late season chukars just don't hold well.

What does your trainer focus on in this month of training? Ron

rtin

Reaction score
I talked to the trainer yesterday for an update and it seems' my pup is coming along just fine.He has been there for two weeks now and is in Montana now because it's just to hot in SoCAL to train.He is almost done with F/F and C/C and is starting to work on some Force to pile and some casting and his marking is very good and his drive has increased 100% now that he works everyday.Come hunting season he should have the basics down and should be alot of fun for both of us.I am very impressed with the trainer and he is training my pup if it was one of his own,but cant wait for him (Ice) to get home. Kids are really wondering if their puppy is ever coming home and the wife I think is starting starting to get more attached to the cat again

MexHunter

Reaction score
rtin,

Your pup is a star pupil! He is going through the program at lightning speed. I had my yellow dog with a top pro that took over two months to get that far. You will be very proud of him when you take him hunting.

Be sure to keep training with your pro once you get him back. You will continue to hone your dog's abilities to hunt and your abilities to train. It is also fun.

Russ

rtin

Reaction score
Thanks Russ I did a lot of work with Ice before I sent him to the trainer,had him holding and started on walking fetch and his O/B was pretty good just needed some reinforcement.When I get him back I plan on working with the trainer weekly as well as daily yard work and hopefully I can JH title him in the fall.Hopefully you can judge him and give me a break
hope you and Fran are doing well.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom