Oh well!  It was fun anyway.

Reaction score
I went out to Adams County, Ohio for opening day but came home looking for answeres.  My "huntin buddy" Larry and I went Saturday morning and set up camp.  We spent all evening (until way after dark) searching or scouting or whatever you call it.  We thought we heard a turkey fly up into a tree but we couldn't tell if it was male or female.  We went back to that same area early Sunday morning and at about 6:15 they started to gobble.  Larry said that we should never take any calls with us while scouting so all we could do was observe.  I think I heard a hen clucking but I never did hear any yelps.  Come to think of it, I've never heard a turkey yelp in the woods.

Saturday night we had the worst storm I've ever seen from inside the woods.  I think they said that we had 4" of rain in three hours.  I've never seen anything like it.  Luckily Larry took my advice and we set up camp up on a small rise away from the creek.  He wanted to set up right on the creek bank.  By 3:00 AM Sunday morning that spot was three feet under water.

Monday morning we set up near two large trees after hearing several gobbles and flapping wings about 100 yards away.  I'm a poor judge of distance but 100 yards sounds good enough.  I thought I heard some turkey fighting off in that direction for about 10 minutes.  Then everything went silent.  We called, clucked, and purred for about an hour with no success.  We moved to three more new locations in a matter of four hours.  Nothing.

I was wet, cold, hungry, sleepy (couldn't sleep through the storm Sunday morning), and at a few times in the dark I was scared.  But it was a GREAT time and I'm looking forward to doing it again.  I have some business travel for the next 6 days but the next available weekend I'm GONE HUNTIN.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Linda,

you tell a nice story.  Probably all us turkey hunters have went thru what you guys did at one time or another and your story brought back memories of those hunts.  Actually, hunts like those are the ones you remember the most.

Good Luck next trip out, I bet Larry sure pays attention to your camp site selections from now on!  haha

Tinhorn

Tominator

Reaction score
Hey Linda, welcome aboard! Great story, it only gets better. Be careful around turkey hunting, it can be habit forming. I see you're from Cincinnatti, are you a reds fan? If so, I'll let you slide on the OSU avatar, LOL. (I'm a South Carolina fan so I think you will recognize the friendly jab)
Tominator

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Hey Linda, great story ,it reminds me of a few of my hunts.Hope you have better luck next time. LOL (I wasn't going to say it but I bleed Orange in the fall):pullshades:

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 6:11 pm on April 25, 2002)

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Linda and welcome to the most adictive board on the net.  I have a farm in Adams county and I hunted Monday and Tuesday.  Heard several goblers but no luck calling them in.

I'm a Buckeye too, but that was a million years ago.

We can let those Vols bleed orange as long as they keep bleeding (lol).

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Hi Linda,
Well I believe that most turkey hunters will sympathize and appreciate your hunting experience.
I hunted this past week in WV with some very savvy turkey hunters for a show to air on the outdoor channel. We experienced the same weather you had and it really made a mess of things. Only 2 of 4 days could we get birds talking in the morning, and nothing that we could do would bring them in. One time we had a real nice bird come in quiet, but he came in to my left and I would have had to shoot across the camera man to take him.
Needless to say, I didnt get a bird, and my hunts wont be airing as part of the show LOL.
Good luck on your next trip out.

RSB

Reaction score
Good story Linda, welcome to the form.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom