Ohio gun season extended

CWSMACKDOWN

Reaction score
Ohio DNR Link

So they are adding 2 extra days to Ohio deer gun season on December 16th & 17th. I don't have a problem with the extra days, but personally I think it's a little late in the season and too close to Christmas. I read an article on this earlier this year and they asked for comments or suggestions from hunters. So I sent an e-mail with my comments/concerns and here is what they sent me back. To me, it sounded like they already had their minds made up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Dear Chris,

Participation in hunting has been declining in recent years not only in Ohio but in most of the nation. Deer hunting is by far the most popular form of hunting in Ohio and in a recent survey of deer hunters, several issues were brought to our attention but the lack of time is the biggest single reason for reduced participation. We have been examining ways to provide more opportunity while maintaining the quality of the deer herd. Many hunters specifically mentioned the desire for more weekend days for gun season. In previous years, considerable thought has been given to moving the gun season to start on a Saturday or to add additional weekend days at another time. As recently as 1995, a full week was added to the traditional season after Thanksgiving resulting in very little participation during the second week. Additional weekends prior to the traditional opener run into conflicts with either the very popular and important Youth Season or the traditional archery season. Adding additional days in January creates problems since bucks begin to drop antlers at that time and we do not want to increase pressure on our buck harvest. An additional gun season in mid-December has the appeal of a “second opening day” and gives the deer (and deer hunters) a chance to “settle down” from the traditional gun week. The addition of an additional weekend may result in other changes in regulations so that we can maintain the harvest at levels recommended by our deer biologists. Ohio has one of the best deer populations in the country and we will continue the management philosophy that has accomplished that quality. The idea is being circulated among our hunters for feedback at this time and a formal proposal will be announced to the Wildlife Council at the February 8th meeting.

Thank you for your comments,

Wildlife Management & Research

To whom it may concern,
I would like to comment on the article released January 10th about the idea of adding an extra weekend of gun hunting for deer next fall. Why not open the season on the Saturday before the traditional Monday season opener? That gives you 2 extra weekend days of hunting and doesn't spread the season out for hunters. You also have to consider Christmas season. Usually by the 2nd and 3rd weekend in December families are busy shopping, going to Christmas parties, and doing other events related to the season. I also think you would attract more hunters to the state by opening the weekend before the Traditional Monday opener. I am an out-of-state hunter from West Virginia. I have talked to the 3 other hunters that join me on bow & gun hunting trips to Ohio and they agreed it would be difficult to justify making the trip back to Ohio for another weekend of hunting that close to Christmas. I hope you make considerations for out-of-state hunters. We pay a significant fee for the priveledge to hunt in Ohio and I ask that you take our comments into consideration as well as resident hunters.

Sincerely,[/b]

FTTPOW

Reaction score
"Participation in hunting has been declining in recent years not only in Ohio but in most of the nation."

Did they ever think that lowering the price of licenses might help?

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Is your tag price really that high? I hunted last year and I think in state was $45. I dont get all of your state info, but I think I heard that the harvest numbers are low. I cannot wait to get up there in October.

Top Bottom