Ohio scouting trip

bbruno

Reaction score
Man I spent 2 solid days in SE Oh scouting properties. Took a long hard look at much of the public land and really did not see any pieces that really interested me all that much. Thick thick thick...wow. I really need to give more time to do justice. Also, did find some that I liked did not get a chance to really get in and pound it hard. Talked to a LOT of people. Asked a lot of questions.

Talked to a lot of landowners...most likely will end up leasing property. Saw close to 150 deer on the potential lease property. Not really any great ones...they were hiding from me. Borderline 3yr old with a junk rack...few other 2yr.

Just saw a ton of deer everywhere. Other spots saw shooters beside the road.

You guys have some deer...man o man.

CWSMACKDOWN

Reaction score
Hey, Bbruno, what county were you scouting? There should be more than enough public property to go around. I would suggest looking into more public property or local farmers. I went with a buddy a few weeks ago and got permission to hunt 3 different farms in Gallia count with great potential. I understand why people choose to lease property, but I think it is eventually going to ruin hunting in Ohio as we know it.

bbruno

Reaction score
You know...that is what I thought. But every place I stopped to get permission, the people all wanted to lease. I talked to a few farmers and the first thing they were interested in doing is leasing. Public property looked good...just thick thick thick. Looked at a couple of different pieces. More than likely I just need more time. Once we get there and hunt, I am sure we will figure it out. It is just real to tough to just get there and jump in on public land and take guesses. Plus the public land weaves in and out of the private land. Half the time, I did not know where I was...lol. Was this public or private? Also, trouble following many of the maps that are in the park.

I was in Athens county. And seems to be great deer hunting. Reality is, most farmers seem to know about their property and what they have. Some know they are sitting on a gold mines. Most just want to pay for there taxes.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
All you're doing is to help contribute to the downfall of hunting as we know it now. I too hunt in Athens county and have recently acquired new hunting ground without leasing ever being mentioned. You're not helping anyone but yourself.

bbruno

Reaction score
FTPow it is inevitable that leasing is running the gammit right now. I agree. I would love to get property without paying. You live in OH. I do not. I plan on being there for 2-3 weeks to hunt. That last thing I want is to show up at a spot where I get permission and find out that the guy gives 20 other guys permission also. I guess the other side of the coin is...why should you not pay to be on another persons property who is not a friend...not an acquaintance...and I benefit from using his property without benefitting him. For me? I find you can make demands of a land owner and require certain things because you are "renting" their property.

I tried to get permission. Trust me I tried. Talked with close to 10different farms. Either it was no permission or people were all ready hunting the property or they wanted to lease.

Love to here the other side of the coin....

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
BBruno,

Is your goals for hunting in Ohio for personal pleasure or make a Video. Im asking because I know we talked a-while back about the video thing. Im interested in that still.

I have some good area to Hunt with some good Bucks roaming it and was curious if your looking for someone to video a Hunt of or actually doing the Hunting...

I realize that sounds one sided and is But I also Understand you may want good footage of a potentail P&Y Kill or Good Bucks roaming an area. If so I may be Interested in teaming up with you. I have spent alot of hours this past year scouting and lining up my October opener this season ...

Just curious what your goals were... for me I always wanted a hunt Video taped of a Book Kill and feel Im onto some good property and in a few weeks time will have a good chance at a few of them...

email me if you have any interest in this or what your interests are...

Dan

Top Bottom