OK, which Timer to use with RS PIR?

cgchris99

Reaction score
After developing this roll, I have ten pictures of the same doe.

Which timer should I use.  I am leaning toward buying the $30 unit from JoeD.

Thanks for any advice.

glen71

Reaction score
I am using Kevin May's version of Tinhorn's 2-stage timer. I have bench-tested it, but have not finished putting everything in the enclosure. I plan to use JoeD's timer on my next cam, primarily because it has lot's fewer components.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi cg,
Well, that all depends on what your requirements are....

JoeDs timer looks to be the easiest "drop-in' solution, but costs quite a bit more at 30 US$.

But.....Tinhorns "two-stage" timer, while somewhat more complex to build, offers greater flexibility in terms of shutter closure timing and "theoretically infinite" picture inhibit adjustment (within its adjustment range)  Parts are available right at Radio Shack. Also has a wide operating voltage. Course it uses ~2x the power of JoeDs timer at idle.

And finally.... The "two-stage" timer on my web-site offers the same advantages as Tinhorns, but uses almost no power at idle - but the parts are static sensitive and have to be ordered thru the mail - which is a pain.

So, once again, there seems to be no "best choice" - it's more a matter of what you want the thing to do.

Archilochus

cgchris99

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Looks like I may go the easy route this time even though it is not the cheapest.

Possum

Reaction score
You can always build it for less .  The chip from Joe is 10.00 and the additional required pieces are probably $5-$7.  Two LED's, 2Pushbutton switches, two resistors, and a relay are it.  I have three cameras with them and they work great.

cgchris99

Reaction score
where do you get the circuit board?  Does Joe provide you with the RS part numbers for the push buttons and relay?

Thanks

Possum

Reaction score
Yes, he will or I will give them to you.  You can buy a circuit board at RS that is very small.  LIke 99 cents

Possum

Reaction score
cgchris99, here is a link to Joe's Wev page.  Tomorrow I will post the part numbers from Radio Shack that I used.  (I hope I can find the bags they came in).  I have built three so far and they function great.   I am building another one soon.  The last one I used a little plastic box to hold the circuit board and ran the wires out of it and it worked a lot better.  It protects the board and gives easy access to the chip.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom