Oklahoma City Victims Feel Slighted

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Story Filed: Friday, December 21, 2001 3:48 PM EST
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Some of those who lost loved ones in the Oklahoma City bombing are feeling slighted by the federal government over its decision to dispense an average of $1.65 million apiece to the families of the Sept. 11 dead.
No such federal fund was ever set up for the Oklahoma City victims.
``I don't want to do a hierarchy on terrorism here, but that's kind of minimizing what happened to the people of Oklahoma City,'' said Marsha Kight, whose daughter Frankie Merrell was killed in the April 19, 1995, bombing that killed 168 people and wounded more than 500. ``The individual loss was just as great for us.''
More than 3,000 people were killed in the attacks at the World Trade Center and Pentagon and in the plane crash in Pennsylvania. Generally, survivors will get a minimum of $300,000, with the exact amounts depending on such things as the victim's earning potential and pain and suffering.
The money will be in addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars in charitable donations that are being distributed to those who suffered in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
It's not my intention to be cold-hearted, but why in heck is the government piling cash on these people?  Is it really any different from a person being killed in an automobile accident or drowning or dying of cancer?  It's an awful situation, but this just seems like a knee-jerk response.  Especially considering that many of those killed were very wealthy before 9/11.  I'm just a regulary shmoe and I pay for life insurance so that my family will be comfortable in the event I die whether it be from illness or an accident.  I'd imagine that the financial wizards in the WTC would have had enough foresight to invest in a little insurance as well.  Why the government (read: JOHN Q. PUBLIC) is paying for this, I simply can't understand.

Regards,
Paul

russ

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
   I think the only way they can be entitled to the benifits is to agree not to sue anyone.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 During the Oklahoma bombing the government was under an Administration that bassically did give a rats a#@.

Duke

Reaction score
I think they can only get it if they agree not to sue anyone russ.  Who would you sue in this case though?  All I could think of is airliner companys.  I don't think it is their fault.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom