Oklahoma

Hog slayer

Reaction score
This trip started out by my son calling me and said dad pack your bags were going to Oklahoma on a last minute deer hunt. Well loaded the truck and headed out. Well we made it to his Father in law's property and checked several tree stands to make sure they were safe for hunting. Next we checked for deer tracks, saw a few, just did't look very hopeful. I have heard of stories of big bucks taken on his Farther in law's property before. I just got to know my son's Farther in law Steve. He was planning on inviting me on a hunt to his ranch but unfortunately cancer took his life before we were able to share that hunt together. But as a hunter I know he was there that morning with me in that tree stand. Such a beautiful property. Well opening morning I had a buck come by my stand about 60 yards. He had his head up and was smelling something, like me. That smart deer walked 50 yards and stopped, lifted his head up and looked right at me. Hell I never moved. He was a nice buck, but I do remember my son telling me that steve did't want small bucks taken. He ran off. Such a great way to start opening day. Well headed in for lunch and talked about the morning hunt. My son saw a buck but just could't get a shot. Well headed back out to the stands again. Nothing moving for 4 hours. It was getting dark. I just thought I would give one more good look to my left before I would get out of my stand. I saw a deer by some brush with its head down feeding. Looked like a doe, until I looked with my binchlors. Nothing but lots of points and looked heavy. Now the deer stated moving toward me. My dilemma was getting my gun up without the buck seeing me. He moved about 5 yards and started to feed on some grass. I slowly raised my gun. The buck turn broadside. Just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger the buck moved again. Head and shoulder facing me directly. I remember my son telling me theses bucks are very cautious and don't stay around very long. So I had an excellent shot between the shoulder blades. Well I pulled the trigger and saw some sparks come from the barrel. The buck never knew what hit him. He died instantly. My first white tail buck. Weill I unloaded my gun and took a moment. Made my way down the tree stand to the buck. Such a beautiful white tail. I am hooked. It was a crazy trip, my son also took a nice buck too. The body on his was huge. His was an older buck. When we made it home my son's friend also shot another huge buck on the ranch. My son told me that there has never been a time when 3 big bucks were taken off the property at one time. What a great hunt. Especially for me and my first white tail buck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fredezee

Reaction score
WOW! really nice bucks! Congrats to both of you.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Welcome to the whitetail addiction! I bet it will be the best venison u ever eaten. How great that your son married into a nice family with the benefits of hunting propert, yeh buddy.
Those racks look around the 130 class. Grew up hunting whiteails on our farm in upstate new York.
I really hope to make it up there in October sometime for the bow season, got some 150 class Clydesdale size bucks runnin around our farmlands.
Congrats and I am sure u r already planning 4 your next trip out there! Thanks for sharing!.....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hog slayer

Reaction score
Ya such a great opportunity, the last minute trip was because the property is up for sale. I am not into the scoring but my son's friend scored mine at 155 and his at 140. Any how both nice deer. You are right on the tasty meat, I have had some last year. Its hard to beat that whitetail.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Ya it was early this morning I was looking at the pics and I sure did underestimated those racks, just looking at them agian and yes those r in the 140-155 class. Man u and your son did really good to score Boon & Crockett whitetail bucks of that class on short notice quick trip. There r average whitetail hunters that have hunted for years still trying to get bucks of caliber class like that belive me, especially with a bow.
U really owe your son big time.....lol
That sucks it's up for sale, next owner will be happy if they r into venison.
Thnx for sharing! Hope u get them mounted, they r trophy bucks!.....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hog slayer

Reaction score
Yes both are getting mounted. Its been a long time since I took a big buck, I call it luck.

Top Bottom