Old dog... new trick

Jay

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to convert my decoys over to using tangle-free line and adjustable depth adjusters.

Here's the way it used to go:

1. Tie strap weight to one end of braided nylon decoy line.
2. Tie other end to decoy.
3. Wrap line around decoy and bend weight arond keel to keep it in place.
4. Go duck hunting.
5. Drag 500 lbs ogf decoys to spot.
6. Pull out a deke.
7. Unbend strap weight.
8. Unwind cord.
9. Toss decoy into water.

Now with these adjustable thingy-bobbers and tangle free line, I though I could skip the winding of the cord and the bending of the strap weights but I've noticed a couple problems:

Problem 1: When picking up the decoys I pinch the adjuster and pull the weight up to the keel but this tends to stretch the tangle free line. I'm afraid it will eventually stretch till it breaks.

Problem 2: Since the weights are merely pulled up to the keel they still bang around in the decoy bag and add to the chipping and wearing of paint on my decoys.

Need advice!    

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Some Carry lite decoys actually have a clip on the bottom of the keel which I use to adjust for water depth. Prob 1 I wouldnt worry about breaking the tangle I have stretched that stuff pretty tight over and over and it hasnt broke, Also in my opinoin the reason decoys lose paint is because they rub on something such as  the bag, so use one of those bags with the tight mesh and pack them tight.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Jay-
First I got the dekes on Friday and I'm quite pleased. I mailed your money on Friday as well, so you should get it Monday.

The way you had those dekes rigged is mighty impressive. I've always been the braided nylon line and wrap a strap weight around the head for transport. I've never used tanglefree, but after checking your rigging out, I'm going to give it a try.

One of my hunting buddies cuts a strip of a bicycle innertube and loops it on his decoy weight. Then, when he's done hunting, he wraps the line around the keel and loops the innertube over the head. Works great, but if you use this method, there's no reason to use tanglefree line.

By the way, what type and where did you get those crimps you had on the Carrylites? You've got me inspired.

Jay

Reaction score
That was fast! UPS from San Ramon to Sacramento in one day. I'm impressed! Got your Jackson. Thanks.

The depth adjusters are basic cord stops from a fabric store. The springs are stainless so they're supposedly "rust-proof". The copper crimps are electrical ground wire crimps. They're dirt cheap (in bulk) and available at any home-improvement store. The copper will tarnish to a dull green but will never rust.

I'd suggest you not store them with the weights drawn tight to the keel. I noticed some stretching going on, hence my request for info above.

Glad my dekes found a good home!

My Flambeau Gadwall and Widgen should get here tomorrow.

BigDog

Reaction score
And now that he got rid of his goose dekes, he has room for more ducks....lol

Jay

Reaction score
Today, today! I get more dekes today!

The man in the brown uniform is coming today. Got to get out the paints. I hate them factory paint jobs!

Time to scrub the dekes. Get out the dove loads. Brush up the salt pond blind. Fill out the ressie cards. Get out the canoe.

It's showtime boys!  

BigDog

Reaction score
Jay, take a downer, you will be wiped out by the time the season gets here....lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom