• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Old Recurves

ChrisAMX

Anyone using an old recurve to hunt? I have an old Browning and was wondering if it is still safe to use. Its strings up and has no apparent damage. Thanks in advance.

baco

I still shoot a couple of recurve from the 60s. They shoot great just keep a eye on the limbs and use the right string on them older bows should be fine

Smithb9841

I have an old bear recurve from prob 60-70s I used For a few years about 10 years ago, 2 tips I recommend use carbon fiber arrows you will get more speed than with traditional arrows. Also don't make the mistake I made I bought some expandable grim reaper broad heads I got a shot on a nice buck made a great shot but the arrow did not have enough force to completely open the broadhead and the buck was never recovered. Went back to the archery shop I was going to at the time and the owner told me if he had known I was getting the grim reaper broadheads for my recurve he would have told me they wouldn't expand because the recurve doesn't have as much of a punch. Needless to say that was the last time I used my recurve makes you sick the your stomach when you don't recurve an animal. But it's really cool to try makes archery hunting even more difficult than it already is. And is very satisfying if you do connect on a buck. Goodluck if you decide to use one!!

ChrisAMX

Thanks for all the replies. Currently, I have aluminum shaft arrows that need to be refletched. I'm assuming the aluminum shafts will still be good? I also have Wasp broadheads on them currently. I probably need to get a new string for sure, however, the old string seems like it hasn't aged.

Anyone have any recommendations for where to buy equipment?

hntnnut

This year I'm at both ends of the spectrum, I'm running a Hoyt carbon defiant 34 and a Black Widow Recurve built in 1967.

Richard

Brnsvllyjohn

I have a Herters and a Marten and I am afraid to shoot either one. The archery shop told me to try them and see if any cracks developed. Both were purchased when I was in my 20's, 40 years ago. I think I will just look at them.

Smithb9841

Thanks for all the replies. Currently, I have aluminum shaft arrows that need to be refletched. I'm assuming the aluminum shafts will still be good? I also have Wasp broadheads on them currently. I probably need to get a new string for sure, however, the old string seems like it hasn't aged.

Anyone have any recommendations for where to buy equipment?
the archery shop I used to go trough went out of businesss. I would recommend a new string if it's been sitting. but the owner who also hunted with a recurve advised me against the aluminum shafts due to weight just as an experiment I shot a friends aluminum arrows through my recurve and they looked like they were going about half the speed of my carbon arrows through the bow.

ChrisAMX

the archery shop I used to go trough went out of businesss. I would recommend a new string if it's been sitting. but the owner who also hunted with a recurve advised me against the aluminum shafts due to weight just as an experiment I shot a friends aluminum arrows through my recurve and they looked like they were going about half the speed of my carbon arrows through the bow.
I used the aluminum arrows with the bow back in the 70's they seemed to perform well back then but maybe carbon would be a better performer. I guess I should try to hunt down an archery shop somewhere in LA, Kern County

Smithb9841

I used the aluminum arrows with the bow back in the 70's they seemed to perform well back then but maybe carbon would be a better performer. I guess I should try to hunt down an archery shop somewhere in LA, Kern County

I guess i was was wrong I thought the shop I went through had closed maybe they did and reopened. but decided to do a quick google search and found his shop is open here is a link to his page and has his number on page.https://www.instagram.com/markbonalesarchery/

his shop is in ceres but I'm sure if you give him a call he could point you in the right direction or would probably even order what you need and have it delivered to you. The guy has been around a long time and also hunts with traditional equipment at times. He helped get me started when I first started now hunting. I'd definetly try to give him a call. Good luck buddy!!

baco

Nothing wrong with aluminum with a recurve you want a heavier arrow. Fred Bear shot and preferred aluminum

Smithb9841

Nothing wrong with aluminum with a recurve you want a heavier arrow. Fred Bear shot and preferred aluminum
Your right there's nothing wrong with them but that doesn't mean they're the best option I have shot both through the same bow and can tell you that the speed you get with the carbon arrows is far superior than aluminum

baco

Speed yes but for me I will take the kenitic energy of a heavy arrow for hunting any day, not to say you can't do the same with a carbon as that is what I'm shooting out of my widow

bsanders8181

It's not even the weight, its the foc weight. I cut a set and did some comparisons, and I'll tell you weight may kill speed, but it'll get you tons more penetration.

Top Bottom