Olympus C2000Z for trail cam??

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
In an attempt to further the digital trail-cam cause, I hacked open a beat up Oly C2000Z digi-cam last night.  Not a pretty sight inside that thing!  The power ON, shutter, and zoom controls are all intergated into a control "module".  There does not appear to be any easy way to tap into the power ON circuit.  There are miniscule bits that might be soldered to in order to control the shutter - but I ain't goin' to try it!
Many of the Oly Cxxx series look similar to this cam - so I'm guessing they would be similarly difficult to work with.

Oh well...another one down.  Too bad, it's a nice little digi-cam otherwise.

My next victim is a Sony FD-85.  I'll let you all know how that turns out (if I'm brave enough to hack it! - it's still in almost new condition).

It looks like digital cam control might be better done with servos / solenoids instead.  That way almost any digital cam could be used.

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch,

Don't bother with the FD-85.  The internal guts are just like the Sony P50.  They use an integrated switch with flat rib cable and the on/off switch is located on the back half with a surface mount button that I couldn't get too.
You can try it but Sony makes things almost impossible to solder too.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Brian,
I was lookin' for an excuse to leave the FD-85 alone...  :)

Arch

BamaNative

Reaction score
Brian, Arch

I have been working on a digital also and I am using the Fuji Finepix 1300 and recently figured out how to wire it up so maybe that can be a digital camera for you.   Fuji is the only one that I could find that was affordable that has the date time function.  

This camera has a small circuit board under the shutter press button that can be removed and the small switch can be soldered to pretty easily.

passgas55

Reaction score
I checked on ebay and they have a few Fuji Finepix 1300 listed. I will go to a BestBuy or Circuit City and get a price. Boy if that dig cam works ,I will get me one and then I will get one of those Brian 's chips.Now if somebody wants a real cheap dig cam to try, Easy Shot(JamCam) for $30 will work.Not  much memory (8 shots at 640x480) but you can add more. Great learning cam for me. Easyshot were at Walmart

(Edited by passgas55 at 6:22 pm on Feb. 13, 2002)

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom