Olympus Camedia d370

Dbworld

Reaction score
Brian and I have been getting several emails asking what settings should be on his chip for the Olympus Digital camera so I thought I would post my recomendations here.

Brians Chip.

Even though this is a Digital Camera you want Brian's 35mm chip with the following settings.

Camera turns off in 4 hours.  So a refresh less than that is needed.   Too short I think will be hard on the batteries. Though a seven minute seemed to test pretty well.  I have been using 2 1/2 hours and 2 hours.  Both work fine.  

Choose NO 38 count feature.  Depending on what size smart media card you have you can potentially get lots more than 38 pics.  

Delays...whatever you want.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Db,

How long are you able to let your camera sit out?  What kind of batteries does it use?

Thanks,
Todd

Dbworld

Reaction score
I've been using AA 1600 Mah  rechargable nimh batteries. These batteries will last twice as long as Alkalines, but are rechargable.  1800 Mah batteries are about $1.75 on Ebay.  Charger with 4 1600 mah batteries is $19 at allelectronics.com (best deal I found).  The last set lasted 7 days.  But that is far more abusive use than what I would expect in the field.  It includes 80 deer, turkey, squirrel and rabbit pics.  Most with the flash(95%).  Plus I had it set up in the house where it took another 200 (probably much more) pics of my family walking by.  Plus I used the LCD screen a lot.  That's a real power user.  They just ran out last night.  Since the batteries are rechargable.....that's plenty long.

(Edited by Dbworld at 5:04 pm on May 23, 2002)

(Edited by Dbworld at 5:08 pm on May 23, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the settings, and am using the 2.5 hr refresh myself. So far, I'm pretty pleased.

Butch

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Db,
Are the Nickel-Metal batteries you are using 1.2V or 1.5V?  I have some 1.2V and was not sure if it made a difference.
-Scott-

JoelM

Reaction score
DB,

Do you have any pictures of your completed digital camera???? How much did it cost total to build it? If you dont mind.  I am thinking the olympus d-370 was on sale for 139
then using a RS sensor running on 9 volt battery a RS hobby box unless I find a deal on a pelican or pistol case. I need one of brian's board a couple switches and some wire.

I think I could do it for about 200.... does this sound about right????

I saw the picture posted earlier of the wiring of the camera. But would like to seen any info you may have on it.

Thanks

Joel

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I would use a better enclosure than a hobby box. This is a pretty good camera, and needs refresh and timer. I used a custom metal enclosure, but if I were you, I'd probibly look at one of ****** first aid boxes. At 139+ tax, unless you etch your own boards, I'd probibly set my budget at around $225-$230. At the most it shouldn't be over $250 figuring a premium for everything.

Butch

JoelM

Reaction score
Thanks ****** sounds like good advise.

Do you have a digital camera? If so any pictures of the finished product?
Or other tips I could use?

JoelM

Reaction score

I noticed your work bench is next to your computer and the forum is up and going. :wink-yellow:

Nice Camera... I hope mine looks as good.

Thanks

Joel

Dbworld

Reaction score
My costs are for my cam

Camera                         $120 (kmart going out of business)
Case metal first aid kit         0  (SAMPLED OUT TO ME)
Digiflash slave flash          $99  (Ouch!!! not really necessary Gives me a 1/4 mile night time flash range...not really)
Rs Sensor                        $10  (on sale)
Brians Board and chip        $33
Stuff                                $35         (misc electronics, nimh batteries etc)                                
shipping of stuff                 $20

Total                                $317

Damn....wish I hadn't done that.  First time I really added it up.    Seeing the results though...IMO worth every penny.

I have a pic of the camera posted in here somewhere.  It looks different now though. Not pretty like HH's does,  but highly effective.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Presently this is my work bench, desk, and office. I'm a Professional Engineer and specialize in structural and functional design. I downsized to myself after 11 years of having a full size design firm about a year ago, and moved to the house about 3 months ago. Until I add on some office space and a SHOP to the house this summer, I do it all, including making Trail Cams from one spot. Its beginning to get to be a mess but I love working at home.

Butch

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Db, since I didn't pay anything for the cam, I could afford to. Also helps to have a friend that does metal fab for a living and hunts like a fiend.

Butch

JoelM

Reaction score
****** Didn't have to pay anything for the camera!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
everyone look at hill hoppers camera pics if your missing a camera.... Just Kidding  :rofl

Thanks guys for all the info.....

Joel

Dbworld

Reaction score
HH....I'm not complaining....I'm VERY happy with my Digital Cam.  I couldn't come close to the results I've had so far, with a commercial cam that would have cost my twice as much.  But I have too much stuffed crammed into too small of a box.  Am making another now and I have the next size larger First aid box and am spending more time on cosmetics.  All my prior cams have been more aimed for functionality than aesthetics.  As long as the results are good.

This time I'm going for a professional looking cam too.   So far it's looking pretty good  

jayber

Reaction score
Dbworld,
Using a refresh with the d370, is there much of a delay between the time the PIR is triggered and when the camera fires?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
My first cam was stuck in an ammo can w/ no paint and the pir hung off the front like a zit. Took some damn good pics.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
LOL!!! :rofl
The ammo cans Sounds like all my other 35mm cams, that I've gotten rid of!!!  My first was a rs sensor and a canon pf.  No options.   The box is an old lock box I happened to have and is huge.  Weighs about 20 lbs.  

Still have it.  Still takes GREAT pics.  Just took it out of the woods with a full roll last week. My only 35mm left.  Just can't get rid of my first.  

Had too many rabbits in that roll.  

Jayber
Delay is not too bad.  A little longer than a 35mm maybe.  But I think it would still work on a trail as long as you left enough fresnal exposed.  

(Edited by Dbworld at 12:37 pm on May 24, 2002)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom