olypus infinity jr.

caveman

Reaction score
I had trouble soldering the two wires to the auto focus & shutter contacts.One wire or the other kept falling of when I tried to reassemble it, anyway with the repeted soldering I damaged a circut on the board .Can this be repaired, or do I chalk this one up to experience ?
 Is the modification to the sur shot owl just as touchy? If so I may have to send it to Specter17 for soldering .I still can't find an owl pf.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi caveman,
Did you solder to the flexible circuit board contacts (where the actual shutter button is located), or to the hard PC board as shown in Jesses "homebrew" camera page?

If you broke the traces on the flexible circuit board, just solder to the hard PC board instead.

If you burned the traces on the hard PC board, I'm guessing you used a soldering iron with too high of a wattage rating (~40-60 watts).  In that case, buy a 15 watt iron from your local Rat Shack (#64-2051) and try soldering your wires to the contacts on the flexible circuit board - but be very careful with them!

If you burned up both the contacts on the flex board and hard PC board, there are other more difficult contact areas - so don't chuck the cam in the trash!

The Sure-Shot Owls (all models) are fairly easy to modify if you have a steady hand and a low-wattage fine point iron.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

caveman

Reaction score
Archilochus or any one.I solderd to the hard board as in Jesse's homebrew.I'm only using a 25w iron with a fine pencil point.I think one of my problems was I used 22awg single strand instead of speaker wire.I found this out after rereading the inst. 6 times.
So you mean to bend the piece that the button pushes down out of the way and solder to those contacts?    
                  Caveman

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Caveman,
Yeah, the solid wire is not a good idea.  Puts too much strain on the contacts.  You can solder your wires to the flex circuit where the shutter button contacts are, but be *VERY* careful, as they are easily destroyed.  You also lose the use of the cameras shutter button.

There is another location to solder to, but it is very small and you'll need a VERY fine tip iron preferably with a grounded tip - or even better - an iron with ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) protection.

If you look at the pic showing the front of the dis-assembled Infinity Jr on Jesses site, you'll see a square  IC about 3/4 inch down from the top of the circuit board.

The lettering on the IC is:
OLYMPUS
LDM2106A
9204 Z29

Your cameras IC might have different numbers, but the position of the IC should be the same.
Along the upper edge of this IC are 12 leads soldered to the PC board.  Counting from Left to Right, you can solder your "auto-focus" and "shutter" wires to pins # 10 and 11.  If you follow the PC board traces you'll see they lead to the spots you tried to solder to.  Be careful not to bridge any of the IC's leads with solder.

Use very fine gauge wire to solder to the IC - the smallest you can get - about 32 AWG.  This fine wire is hard to find in small quantities, so I usually scavange some from old 5 1/4 inch disk drives when I need it.
Glue down these wires after soldering them to the IC.  Solder the heavier wires that lead out of the cam to the fine wires and glue them down also to remove any strain from the fine wires.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Top Bottom