omega fouling

Pa Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I shoot an Omega .50 with Hornady sabots/300 xtpmags & 2 pellets of 50 gr each.
The third shot is hard to seat the last inch, the 4th impossible unless I pull the breech plug and brass brush the barrel. I am cleaning it between shots with the windex/alcohol mixture.
It almost seems as though the plastic from the sabot is what is causing the build up, and I am certain I am using the proper size sabot.
Any suggestions?

saskhunter

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem with my omega. I have the stainless 50 cal and was shooting 777 powder with it. My accuracy wasn't where I wanted it to be so I changed back to pyrodex. With the 777 After a couple shots I had trouble seating the bullets. I was shooting dead center bullets and sabots then changed to nosler sabots but it didn't change. I was cleaning between with straight water. When I changed to pyrodex I am shooting up to 8 rounds in a row and no seating trouble.
My accuracy also has improved drastically. It was just a fluke to find out about the pyrodex seating easier but this is what happened in my gun?? Hope this helps!!

birdhunter88

Reaction score
Are you using bore butter on your bullits???? I use Trip 777 and have no problems at all. I will run a wet patch and then a dry patch inbetween each round. But I also use Powerbelt bullits too with no bore butter. I have found that bore butter will bake right inside your barrel and will cause the seating problems.

bird

Pa Ridge Runner

Reaction score
no I am not using Bore Butter nor anything else to lube barrel or bullet.
with the 2 pellets I am dead center accurate @ 100 yds, < 1' for a 3 shot group. it really is only a hassel at the bench, cause when hunting how many shots can you really expect in a day? Even so I can pull the breech plug and brush it good in a few minutes no big deal. I have even tapped the end of my ramrod against a tree at the range to seat the 4th and 5 th rounds. They seat but darn hard.
BTW I also have a stainless barrel and a gray laminate stock.

Triple Se7en

Reaction score
Triple Se7en fouling is crustier so it needs to be spit-patched/swabbed after every 2nd shot. In my bore, Pyrodex can't match Triple Se7en accuracy. The stuff was made to harvest animals more humanely than other powders.... not to win "Most Shots Without Swabbing" competitions. When you add all the benefits to 777, no other smoked powder can compete.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom