One Month to Dove!

Chris

Reaction score
Sure has been a long off-season.  Seems to get longer every year.  So let's talk dove.  Who's goin' where?  I'll head out to the Imperial Valley for a scouting trip or two before the season starts, and I'll post what I see.  It's a long hot drive, but it'll pay off on opening morning.  Rumor has it that Leon and DWU, working with the DFG, have secured even more property for the public to hunt than last year.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Well I am going to the pepper capital of the world, that's right Blythe. I hope there isn't any thunder storms as there is almost every year.

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 10:14 pm on July 31, 2002)

Remshot

Reaction score
Qbn,there are alot of dove down here.More than I seen in a long time.But like you said,we gotta sweat that end of the month storm. Have you tried second half dove hunting? Lots of times it's really good with very,very few other hunters out.The birds get complacent and the weather is real nice down here.It'll save the day if the quail hold out on you.

Pigbodies

Reaction score
We're heading to Yuma.  I'm going with Drew 41 and TBone from this forum.  We've hunted just about every area up on the mesa and have even ventured out to Wellton and Tacna, just as a change of pace.  Yuma's a great place to hunt and with a little scouting you can always find a place to hunt without much hunting pressure.  This will be my 20th year heading down to Yuma and my Dad's 33rd.

I've heard that the dove numbers are up from the last couple of years, but does anyone from the Yuma area (i.e. Widgeon Whacker) have any detailed information?  We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express across the street from Sprague's.

Hep

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Remshot,

I went to the 2nd dove season to Brawley about 10 yrs. ago. I had a great time.I am thinking about going to either Blythe or Brawley this year for the 2nd.

Has anyone gone to the 2nd dove season to Blythe? was it any good?

songdog

Reaction score
Opening day will probably find me in the Central Valley on a friend's ranch.  The second weekend I'm planning on heading east to see the rest of the JHP crew out near Blythe.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'm going out to Imperial Valley for opener.  I'll be there with Foulshot, Wildbirdhunter, Droopy and some others.  The more people the merrier.

I'm still planning on going out to Blythe for the second weekend.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Blythe for the opener and the second weekend with the JHP crowd.

Regards,
Paul

foulshot

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from FullSack on 2:34 pm on Aug. 1, 2002
I'm going out to Imperial Valley for opener.  I'll be there with Foulshot, Wildbirdhunter, Droopy and some others.  The more people the merrier.

I'm still planning on going out to Blythe for the second weekend.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Ditto.

Gus

Reaction score
If you don't mind a Texan answering, I will be hunting around a tank and some fields in central Texas on our property.  It has always been productive in the past.  Around the edge of the tank there is not much mud so the birds like it.  We hunt the tank in the morning and late afternoon and around the fields during the day.  Good luck and happy hunting to all.

Slash

Reaction score
If I don't get drawn for a special hunt, I'll be at Mendota, Ca., dodging the duffers.

rookiehunt21

Reaction score
bakersfield is the place to be. just spent the weekend scouting and the birds are everywhere.

bill

Marty

Reaction score
I'll be down off English; in that area...  Fullsack, Foulshot, Wildbirdhunter, Droopy... do you guys have JHP stickers on your trucks?  If it's good, I'll probably return for Monday morning.

AzBuckSnort

Reaction score
I'll take a brief break from an archery hunt on the Kaibab to hunt doves near Fredonia, AZ. For all the folks heading towards the River, lots of birds here but they are hanging tight in the residential areas on the Az side. CA is just ok at the moment.

Pigbodies

Reaction score
AzBuckSnort,

Any idea what the doves will be like in Yuma?  Have there been any storms?  How close is Fredonia to Yuma?

Hep

foulshot

Reaction score
Marty, Yes I do have a JHP sticker on my truck.  FullSack will most likely be with me, I believe that WBH has a sticker on his truck also.  I drive a F250 CC with Colorado plates.  We will be staying at Barbara Worth Hotel.  We plan on staying through Monday.  We'll probably have a few first time hunters with us so we might look for some areas that are low on hunters.  I know that might be a little difficult but we'll try.

docramo

Reaction score
Will be in Yuma for the opener. Staying @ the Interstate 8 Inn. Toyota Tacoma black with JHP sticker.

AzBuckSnort

Reaction score
Pigbodies,
 Yuma and Fredonia are about as far apart as you can get and still be in Arizona! Seriously, Fredonia is a tiny town in the northern border of Arizona & Utah, a few miles south of Kanab, Utah to be precise. Yuma, of course, is waaay down south on the C.R.
I imagine there's plenty of doves in the Yuma area now and as long as the monsoons don't blow 'em out, you ought to have a fine shoot this September.
good luck!

Mojave

Reaction score
We'll be hanging around here in the High Desert and hunting within about a 10 minute Jeep drive from home. Dove won't be flying quite so thick as around Yuma, Brawley or El Centro, but neither will the hunters. With the slower action, it will take most of the morning for us to get a limit (or close to a limit). We ran down to El Centro for opening day a couple of years ago, and it was almost 100 degrees at the hotel at 2 AM! We limited within about an hour of sunrise. That's exciting action, but we'll stick with the more laid-back scene here, and skip the drive (and some of the heat). Hope the good weather holds for all you guys traveling to the Low Desert.

Top Bottom