One of my wierder yotes

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
This is my buddy Shane holding a really old yote I shot a couple years ago. We were bear hunting here in SoCal and calling a favorite bear area with a fawn screamer. We were sitting about 50 yards apart just below a ridgeline watching a berry choked ravine and the slope acoss from us.

I was in full camo and glassing the slope when I put down the binos to take an eye break and there sat this yote on his haunches, not 15 yards from me. At first glimpse I thought he was a regular dog since there was homes in the distance. Second glance and WHOA Nelly, it's a yote!!

I knew he'd bolt as soon as I raised my .300 winmag, but I just can't lay off shooting yotes. I start to raise my rifle and he turns and trots off only to stop and look back at 25 yards. WHAM!!! Down he went. Shane peeked around the corner and came over to see what all the shooting was about. The hide was a mess, there was a little entry wound but the 200 grain Nosler Partition made a footballsize exit wound, blowing chunks 8 feet up into the bushes.

I'm guessing with my binos up where he couldn't see my eyes over the headnet the yote wasn't sure what I was. This yote was really old, all his teeth worn down and his canines were broken off. You'd think he would know better or maybe he was just real hungry.

He had the widest, blockiest skull I've ever seen. Shane sent the skull off to JJHack at Custom Osteo for his record section. I need to find out exactly what he scored, I know he was the highest score for size when we first checked.

Anybody have any wierd yote tales? Black yotes? Coy dogs?

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
The strangest coyote hunt I have ever encountered was in a old junkyard. A coyote had dened up in one of the old cars, I had seen it a few times while hunting nearby but could never get a shot. One day I decided to set up next to the junkyard and call. I watched the car where the coyote was seen and sure enough it raised its head from inside the car. I shot and down it went. I thought I had made a good shot but after a few moments it raised it's head again. I shot and the coyote vanished. There I sat thinking I had missed two gimme shots, what was up? Well to make maters worse the coyote came out of the car at the speed of light and ran off. I decided to go investigate where the shots went. Well to my surprise I found where my bullets had hit...there were two dead coyotes laying in the floor board of the car. I had found a den of not one but three coyotes. The floor board had rusted out, the coyotes had dug a hole under the car and were using it for cover. They had come out one at a time to see what all the noise was about, the third coyote must have had enough and split.
ch 1  

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Last year I spotted two trotting away which paid little attension to my call, after about 15 minutes of calling I noticed one a considerable distance away from me. He got on top of the hill and started howling, I kept on calling and he stayed on his hill for about 5 more minutes then walked towards me just to stop evey couple of yards to jump on rodents, while I would call. This stop and go went on for 45 minutes by the time he crossed the fence I was fed up, when he got to about a hundred yards I decided that the next rodent he smelled would be the last. While skinning him out I found 1 OObuck just inside his hide.

songdog

Reaction score
All you have to do to see something strange is go calling with me for your first intro to predator calling.  I don't know what it is but when I get someone who has never called before, I get some of the strangest things...

Hunting buddy Al - first triple I ever call.  We hike up a small hill sit over the crest, call for 2 minutes and three coyotes come at a sprint from the next ridge over.  Shoot the middle one at 75 yards.  Buddy Al thinks that this is how it always works.

Hunting Buddy Mark - calling out at Wister with above hunting buddy Al (now realizing that they don't always come in threes and after two minutes of calling).  Al blows the call about twenty yards to my left and within 10 seconds a coyote comes in from my right at 10 yards.  I shoot in self defense and my both Al and Mark come running because they thought I slipped or something and my gun went off because there's no way something could have come in in only 10 seconds.  I was blabbering and pointing and I still don't think they believe me...

Cop Buddy Danny - take him out to Mt. Emma for his first tast of coyote hunting.  First three stands all produce coyotes and misses from Danny.  Finally he connects on the fourth (great calling day) and makes mush out of the coyotes head with a .243 at about 15 yards.  Only then did I realize that he was trying to shoot them all in the head (surprisingly small target if you haven't tried).  I explained the whole chest shot thing and of course, we didn't see another coyote the rest of the day.  Those head shots don't make for the best pictures...

Hunting Buddy Ken - once again out at Wister, only the second time I've called in three from the same stand.  The first gets dropped at about 15 yards and then about two minutes later two more show up about 100 yards out.  I prompt him to shoot the front one and he misses.  I take a running shot at about 150 and there's a huge cloud of sand and a dead coyote.  The third runs out about 300 yards and stops to look and see where his buddy is.  That's where he met the third shot from the .243.  Once again, Ken thinks that all you do is sit in some bushes, blow this little whistle and shoot them when they come running in... haven't done anything like that since and that was two years ago.

Hunting Buddy Jim - calling out at Aliso Cyn and have a coyote come in from the right at about 75 yards.  Jim hasn't ever shot one but he's sitting on my left so there's no way he can safely shoot over me.  So I shoot and we go over to the coyote.  Nothing big on this one until we get over to the coyote and find that he's only got three legs.  Couldn't tell by the way he ran but I took a lot of ridicule over that one...

Hunting buddy Chris - calling from a pine grove for foxes and about thirty seconds into the call hear this crashing in the bushes in front of us.  I'm thinking 200lb fox Chris is thinking that he's faster than me (he's not) and turns and runs just as a big angry doe comes through the bushes trying to see who's hurting her fawn.  Doe saw Chris running, turned and ran back right into me who was now running the other direction... It could have been a three stooges episode.

All of these were the first time predator hunts for the friends mentioned.  Anyone else want to go with me? :wink-yellow:

(Edited by songdog at 3:39 pm on Nov. 25, 2001)

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
Song dog, thanks for the offer but I don't think my heart could take it. Too bad you did not have a video camera when the doe charged...it sounds like you could have won funniest home videos.
ch 1  :rofl

Bill W

Reaction score
I took a first timer out to the desert near Indio one morning about five years ago and we set up on this little rise between a citrus orchard and open desert. Sitting on the rise we could see a looong way out into the desert. I started calling and within  30 seconds we spot three coyotes about 3/4 of a mile a way running full speed in our direction. I stopped calling as soon as we saw them.  Those coyotes kept running as fast as they could at us.  It was like something was chasing them they were comming so fast. At about a hundred yards I blew the sqeaker really loud and long hoping to get them to stop or at least slow down so we could take a shot.

If anything, they speeded up. They kept coming all the way in at full speed.  I raised my rifle when they were about twenty yards away as they were just getting to the base of the hill we were on. One apparently saw me and peeled off and was running across the base of the hill and quartering away.  I took a shot and got lucky rolling him with a 30-06 165 gr slug (I was getting ready for deer season).  

As I was shooting the first, the other two coyotes ran right up the hill at us.  One went between us at about five yards from me, and the other went by on the other side of my buddy.  My buddy was so shocked he swung at it and fired his rifle from the hip as it ran by (he missed).  The one that went between us actually kicked sand on me as he went by.  The two coyotes kept running right by us, down the back side of the rise, and continued until they were out of sight.

We were both so shocked neither one of us ever even attempted to take another shot as they ran away.  It was the craziest damn thing I ever saw and my first-timer buddy was sure he had just been involved in an aborted coyote attack.  I still can't explain it other than to guess that maybe the coyotes were racing each other to get to the "rabbit", and then were so confused when I shot the first one that they ran right by us.

Despite my repeated assurances of what a freak occurance that was, the next couple of times my buddy went coyote hunting he strapped on a sidearm "in case we get attacked again".

Bill    

shaman

Reaction score
Hey songdog, Dan V. and myself are both interested in trying out some varmiting. How would you like to come up to the central valley. We wouldn't mind a experience along the lines of what you were describing.

songdog

Reaction score
I could probably be talked into something...

Might also make sense to have JHP first annual coyote hunt out in the desert somewhere (Mojave, Wister, etc.).  Pair up one JHP new guy (never shot a coyote) with a veteran (shot more than one... on purpose) and send everyone in different directions.

Could be a lot of fun.  Everyone's been talking about a get together.  This could just be a smaller localized one.  

paulc

Reaction score
songdog, i think that is a great idea... you may want to repost this idea as  a seperate post... if this idea gets legs i will bring the brautwurst..
paul

Kentuck

Reaction score
A friend and I got into coyote hunting on a friends ranch outside of Clayton. On one of our earliest trips we were set up by a log that was the only cover on this one hillside looking down into a grassy canyon. I was always the "watch the back door guy" and my friend would call. Well not long into the first series of calls he starts getting real intense, the quiets down and then stops. I'm dying about right now because I just know that a coyote is coming in from the front. I craned my neck around as far as I could and I could just see about 6-7 coyotes trotting up the canyon about 200 yards out. I'm thinking cool, lots of shooting coming up. I'm trying to position myself for a quick turn around when all of a sudden my friend starts calling again. I turn around and the dogs are gone. I asked how close they had gotten and he pointed to a small flat out about 90 yards. I saked why he didn't shoot he said they were too far. He had just recently started hunting. i told him with the 22-250 and 7-20X Leuopold scope he could have shot fleas off of them at that distance. Any way while we sitting there trying to figure out why they spooked (wind was right, no significant movement from us) I look up the hill (the back door) and there stands two yotes about 40 yards away. Well I roll one and the takes off over a rise. I run to the ridge line and the yote is now running up a wide open hillside straight away. I'm gonna have fun now. I would lead the yote just a hair each shot and each time I would hit just in front of it. All I succeeded in doing was changing his direction 4 times. I still say he had a bloody nose from a couple of the shots.
Never did figure out why that pack spooked!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom