One Tuff Yote

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

I was up near Bishop Ca. this past weekend helping DanD and Frank glass for some deer. Saturday night I was looking for a place to do some calling when I saw Sage Grouse hens popping out of the sage brush like popcorn near this pond. I figured it was a bobcat or coyote doing the popping so I hopped up on my truck nerf bar for a quick look. After a few minutes I saw some pointed ears and could make out a yote head, but something didn't look right with the yote. His back was all scrunched up like when they fight. I thought at first he was trying to drive the grouse to a buddy but I couldn't find any helpers. After watching him for a few minutes I could see his rear end was crippled. He was literally dragging his back half with just the front paws and trying to ambush the grouse as they came down to the pond for a drink.

The poor guy didn't have chance since he could only drag himself 3 or 4 feet then he would rest, only to spot another grouse and try again. I guess he had been hit by a car or been shot in the hips. Looking at how mangled his rear legs were I'd say it was a car. In the above pic he looks in decent shape but it was really sad to watch. You can see his rear right leg is all folded over backwards just under his tail in the pic. I videoed him for a minute and the video shows how much of a struggle he was having. I decided to put him out of his misery and drove right down next to him. The yote crawled out in the water, figuring I wouldn't chase him out there since he couldn't run. I grabbed the handiest rifle which was a .22 mag. Two shots finally ended his pain. For you .22 yote shooting fans, my only thought after taking two shots to drop this yote at 50 yards was I wished I had grabbed a bigger rifle and ended it quicker. I hate seeing animals suffer and wanted to get it over as quick as possible.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Good job Jesse.  < sigh > NO animal deserves to suffer like that, kudos to taking the time to do the right thing...

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Cool pic and story Jesse. Just goes to show everyone how tough those dogs are. I've seen and heard of quite a few tripods, but that 'ol boy takes the cake.           Scott

stickman

Reaction score
You definately did the right thing. It's amazing that animal even survived as long as it did. Just shows how tough they are.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Way to go Jesse. So there is a soft spot in you..(LOL) Great job..

songdog

Reaction score
Ohhhh, bite tongue, bite tongue... really want to say it but :lips-sealed:

lintongb

Reaction score
Well I've killed and seen a few tripods but I have to say that this is the first "Bipod yote" I've seen.  I'm sure he couldn't have twisted up that way for too awful long.  Moving around like you described.  It was a good thing you ended it for him.  I think you did him a favor.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Jesse,
Is that near Crawley? We saw alot of deer & coyote tracks around the Crawley ponds, but no Grouse this time out.
I'm thinking about duck hunting the large pond behind Green Banks next cast & blast trip.

steve

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here's a couple still pics off the camcorder that show how busted up the yote was. He looked like an inchworm when he moved. The pics suck because I was looking right into the setting sun.

Wingman, kind of close to Crowley, DanD swore me to secrecy on the deer spotting.

Top Bottom