Oops! Newby solderer here

texastrophy

Reaction score

I bought a CB-1 to control a Canon AF. This is my first gamecam. When soldering the clips that go into the plastic, 2-pin connectors, I got too much solder in them and now they won't plug onto the circuit board. I've tried cleaning them out to no avail and have basically ruined the clips doing it. Is there any other way to attach the wires to the circuit board or is there a store where I can purchase some clips. I've emailed fieldpix, but haven't received any info yet. Thanks a lot.

c3e001cc

Reaction score
I feel certain that FieldPix will send you some replacement parts. When you get that Canon going then move up to a Sony P-32 and use Fieldpix's CB-4K. I have one in operation now and just completed another last night and have two more kits in the assembly line.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
texastrophy,
I sent you an email regarding some options you can try before you need to get replacement parts. I'll be happy to supply you with some spare parts...

thehunter

Reaction score
c3e001cc,

Did you buy the compeleted unit or did you buy the kit and put it together. The fieldpix board looks like a nice board. I am curious as how hard is it to build yourself or is it easier to get it premade.

headnurse

Banned
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought the CB-3 board only and ordered the components myself to set up with an Owl camera, but still haven't got the Cam set up, got into the dang digital ones instead. The board is easy to put together if you have even minimal soldering experience. I'd assume his newest one is easy as well. Very nice layout on the CB-3. I like being able to trace the circuits visibly so I have an idea of just what is going on with the parts in my mind while I'm doing the work and when I use the board. If you enjoy putting things together, it's a good choice.

Christine

c3e001cc

Reaction score
The FieldPix board kits are very easy to complete. You can easily complete one between supper and bedtime. I use a 15 watt soldering iron that has a very fine pointed tip. I also use a loupe ?(headband magnifying glass for both eyes) since my tired old eyes and trifocals need a little help.

First arrange the parts (resistors and capacitors) in order so that you can follow the list and check off each part as it is installed. I try to install three or four parts and then solder them in place and clip the excess leads with fingernail clippers. The one suggestion I would make is to jump ahead and install the radial lead capacitors first. They are quite small and easier to install while there is plenty of room for my clumsy fingers.

I also use .032 diameter rosin core solder from Radio Shack and use it very sparingly.

thehunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of experience in bad vision and big clumsy fingers. Oh don't forget a hard head.
If you can post a picture of you latest creation with the Fieldpix board.

Thanks again

Christine, watch out for those digitals they are addictive. I know that you say you can stop after the first one but the second, third, ......they keep giving you that rush.

c3e001cc

Reaction score
Here it is. Pelican 1060, 4 AA cell with attached switch and the CB-4 board.

Attachments

thehunter

Reaction score
Nice set up. It looks like you have a lot of room in the 1060. Do you think if you put it in a 1050 you would have any problems.

What kind of battery supply are you using??

texastrophy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice via email Steve. I've got it fixed and am ready to test my first camera in the field. I bought the preassembled board, but next time, I may go with the kit since I do enjoy putting things together. Good advice guys, thanks.

c3e001cc

Reaction score
The Hunter!

My battery supply is a four AA cell closed holder from RS that has a switch on the outside. The four cell should power the board for several months since the board has such a small power demand (according to hamiltoe). I have one in operation for several weeks and it is going strong. Using this board you do not have to have a switch on the outside of the case since the board has a 5 min. delay before becoming activated after power is applied. This gives you plenty of time to attach the camera to a tree and leave the area. When you return to check the camera it will take a picture and you will know that everything is working. The beauty of digital...just erase the picture of your "mug".

Yes, there is plenty of room in the 1060 case (more than is needed). Someone recently posted a picture of a setup in a smaller case and it might have been in a 1040 case...but don't quote me on that. Which ever case it was they had to trim the case slghtly with a dremel tool to make room for the camera.

Top Bottom