open sights vs scope

freakin54

Reaction score
I plan to order a .223 barrel for my nef this week and start coyote hunting ,
At what range are most coyotes shot ?  If it is 100 yards and less I will order it with open sights ,If it is more I will be needing a scope .
I have target shot for years with open sights and have never owned a scope prior to the 30-06 I just bought so I am not used to finding my target through a scope (parctice should do it)
I need a good source for calls . I have tried a number of gun stores and havent seen any
I will make sure to make it to the next hunt this group has , I belive I could learn alot more in person than reading it.
thanks

songdog

Reaction score
The vast majority of shots will be within 100 yards.  If you're use to shooting within that range with iron sights, go for it.  Although that's where most of my shots are, I still use a scope on almost every rifle I have.  Just use to it I guess.  You will end up with some shots beyond 100 yards though...

If you're in SoCal, you can find calls at Turner's.  You can also order them from BassPro or Cabela's.

davered1

Reaction score
Up here we do most of our coyote shooting on the river flats. We are lucky to get shots at 200-300 yards unless we call them.We can spot and stalk them as the road is about 200 feet above river flat for viewing, but them dogs can hear you cpoming along way and don't like when a pickup stops either.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom