Opener of Rabbit Season was soo cool!

TheGDog

Yesterday was soo cool! Had my Bag limit by 6:40am! The .17 HMR and the Qwik Sticks proved to be the EXCELLENT tool I thought it would be for this particular area.

Was hanging out at the edge of a meadow backed up into a scrub oak with my Kill Suit mesh strip Ghillie Suit on and the rising sun at my back. As they came out to the edge of the brush line to hang out and get some Sun, I was pickin' em off with shots like 50-75yds. (P.S. I never get tired of watching them do back-flips after getting shot!)

Ugh... on one of them though, first shot seemed to miss, (later while cleaning em at home found out it had actually pierced his ear). The second shot got him, but it wasn't nortal. He was all tryin' to drag his crippled butt away with just his fronts. Ugh. So I had to go over there and shank him thru his brain. I could've done without having to do that.

On a brighter note... since I got done so early I picked a trail and hiked-in, making a few sets along the way. I recently upgraded to the Johnny Stewart Grimm Speaker GS2 caller. On my first set, I picked this draw over to the side of the trail at one point. It was brushy, but had good space for visibility between the pieces of brush. And also had some large stones in there at places creating areas of open space. Put the MOJ on a stone, caller little beside it. Posted up further up the draw where it began to rise. That top area was still in shadow from the rising morning son so it was perfect. Wind in my face too. I was only like 25-30yds from the decoy/caller, but that's the most I could back away and still have a clean view and shot.

Maybe only like 10 minutes of Baby CottonTail and a Grey Fox showed up! He was making his way around the caller in a circular path, but the way he was heading it looked like he'd run into me in like 2 seconds. He was starting to be partially obscured by a leafless piece of brush in front of me and a slight depression in front of that bush. I tried to pickup and reposition my rifle and Qwik Stik, but he must have heard me and pause with his ears pointing where I was seated. After like 2 or 3 seconds he decided something wasn't right so he regressed and then left up and out the draw in a larger open pathway to the right.

With all the time and hoofin' it I had been doing since I got this new eCaller in another location I'd previously shot a coyote at, with no takers coming in and nothing to show for it. It was such a joy to actually have some action this time!
WP_20180701_007.jpg

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Nice job.

That is the cleanest truck bed I have seen on a hunting vehicle. Even my new truck has more scratches in the bed than yours. You must not haul your dirt bike with that pickup.

Last edited:

imperial valley hunter

Great read G and glad you took home some rabbits. Congrats, it's cool to see how you have progressed. This season should be fun, keep us posted.

TheGDog

I recently purchased this Truck, used, with a little over 32K miles on it. And I agree it is a very clean bed. I need to eventually get it spray liner'd. The paint is very soft and scratches easily.

Anyhoo she rides very comfortably and the back seat area is huge! I love it!

Last edited:

TheGDog

ivhunter - It's just a metaphor for my life how I went about doing this hunting thing in reverse. "Wrong-way Rudy" over here.

The song "The Wrong Way" from Sublime comes to mind. :)

I'm just bummed because I haven't got a predator yet. I want one soo bad! To sort of "complete the collection" you might say.

Wino

You weren't planning on shooting that gray were you? Season does not openough till November.

canamrider07

So did Gdog break the law using a ecaller and hunting game out of season? If so, what would should be the ethical response from this website?

TheGDog

Crock-potted the Rabbits into a Stew. Nice bunch of Garlic, Chicken Boullion, spices, Green Beans, Asparagus.

RE: Fox, that's just what came in.

I kinda thought I remembered there being a Season date for them. Didn't remember about the no eCaller thing though, Thanks! Eek!

(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except:
coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

So I guess maybe I should perhaps try to lead-in with hand-calls from now on just in case a Fox comes in, hmmph.

Interesting, there is NO MENTION of a Season date range for Foxes in this section.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nongame-Furbearers
Nongame_Furbearers.jpg

Another interesting thought... I've got both Hand Calls and an eCaller in my possession while in the field... does that automatically disallow me from taking a Fox, since he wouldn't be able to prove I was using one or the other to call them in?

I'm assuming their stance would be just having the eCaller on my person would disqualify me from being able to take a Fox, in their eyes, yes?

Last edited:

dthome

So did Gdog break the law using a ecaller and hunting game out of season? If so, what would should be the ethical response from this website?
The caller is legit for coyotes. Gdog now knows not to shoot gray foxes under these circumstances. Enough said.

TheGDog

Can someone please verify or show me where it lists Season Dates for Fox?

If I willfully mess around and go with just hand calls and one comes in again, I wanna know that I'll be legit for the take or not.

Wino

§461. Badger and Gray Fox.
(a) Badger may be taken as follows:
(1) Season and Area: November 16 through the last day of February, statewide.
(2) Bag and Possession Limit: No limit.
(b) Gray fox may be taken as follows:
(1) Season and Area: November 24 through the last day of February, statewide.
(2) Bag and Possession Limit: No limit.
(3) Dogs may be permitted to pursue gray fox in the course of breaking, training, or practicing dogs in accordance with the provisions of Section 265 of these regulations.
Repealer and new section filed 5-13-81; designated effective 5-23-81.

TheGDog

OK... what the heck! Where are you reading this from?

Wino, what is the URL link you found this at? In the current PDF (and they now don't seem to any longer have it provided any other way), there is no section 461.

UPDATE:

OMG... what a hassle to find that! Had to drill down into the CCR

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Browse/Home/California/CaliforniaCodeofRegulations?guid=IF1D0281EE05446CD8C81728C82D181F9&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)

Then pick "Furbearing Mammals" then pick that 461.

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I7895B638FE504832B871A9133BC59FD1?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

That is soo wrong! This stupid PDF they are giving everybody doesn't even reference ANY of this stuff!

How in the heck are people supposed to remain informed if they bury the isht umpteen levels deep within the entire California CCR??

Last edited:

canamrider07

The hunting regulations in California are very hard to obtain and follow. btw, I would drop the qwick stick, ecaller and any other "device" and just hunt. Free yourself from all the gadgets, you will become a better shot.

MariotheBarber

Gdog, I just got my trapping license, and while studying it I noticed how many rules and regulations are buried in weird sections of their site. And even then, some of the Fish and Game employees at their office in Los Alamitos didn’t know things that are plainly on their website. Kinda makes you shake your head sometimes.

TheGDog

My first deer... since I live real close to that Los Alamitos site... I decided I'd just take it over there to get signed off. Pssh... my goodness... you could tell right away that probably no one has ever done that before. Buncha people lookin' around all dumbfounded... asking questions of each other. Eventually... some guy reluctantly came out to do it.

Won't be doing that again.

Top Bottom