Opening weekend here in Alabama

Doemasters

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone else is hearing in Alabama, we had them gobble their heads off from the roost and then nothing else but that gobble let us know where they were

video clip below

Click here to Watch Video

Kentuck

Reaction score
Nice. Went to lunch today and watched 7 gobblers doing their stuff around some ladies. Just over a week to go here!

Metdawg44

Reaction score
I killed my very first turkey in Alabama, near Evergreen, about 25 years ago. They were thick as thieves back then. I think the limit was 5 or 6 a year. Or maybe that was just on the farm that I hunted on.

I just want to add, I only hunted there once and killed one bird.

Tominator

Reaction score
Great work by all involved
Sorry to hear about your dad.

DRAKE11

Reaction score
Congrats. I killed my one and only turkey in Alabama 5 years ago. I would like to get back into it.

fortyfive70

Reaction score
I was lucky last Sunday.....though my bird was shut mouth......i did find a good strutting area and took up a stand there.....around 8 a hen came in and was draging a gobbler with her...one load of winchester #5's and i was carrying him out.

I thought the birds would be gobbling Sunday morning as pretty and calm as it was, but that just goes to show you.....

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Doemasters,

Congrats on a beauty..........
Man, there dark, compared to our Rio's. I shot my only Eastern 2 years ago out of Red Hill, near Martin Lake.

Fortyfive70,

Congrats to you too..............

skeeterbait

Reaction score
CONGRATS!!!

y'all are killin' me, I had to miss opening weekend with the flu.

fortyfive70

Reaction score
Sorry toe hear that skeeter.........met up with a buddy in P-ville and had a big breakfast at Jim's on hwy 31....and head'd in between Marbury and Possey's crossroads.....you will have a good weekend this week so get er dun

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Thanks fortyfive70. Yeah Jim's can put an artery hardening heart stoppin breakfast on ya. I do most of my hunting near Autaugaville these days.

Doemasters

Reaction score
i got another one on film this weekend and can't wait to get the footage back, i was filming for an outdoor show this time and we had the gobbler about 25 yards from us in full strut for about 20 minutes or so and gobbling a few times when his hens would leave him

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
yeah! I spent a few months in La Grange,Ga. back at the end of '95, and while there, took a trip towards southwest Alabama to a popular lodge that provided bobwhite, deer and turkey opportunities.

Great timber/country and have seen resemblances it on the many outdoor shows, that reminds me of that outing!

I didn't hunt at all, I was researching the lodge for a potential hunt the company owner's sons were promising me!

That's one fine looking turkey!

I've yet to bag one, so, it makes me wonder, how/what would be a great preparation for one?

I worked many a summer on a "domestic turkey ranch" and many a "barnyard" gobbler got cooked up pretty much in a "T-day" fashion, except of course for all the plucking required! Versus packing removal and minor cleanup!

You guys fry em? "Butter ball" em? what?

Lastly, is that a "Merriams" "Osceola" or what?

Advertisement

Top Bottom