Operating voltage range of Mainstay

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I am about to start the design on my second generation controller board for my cams.  The first boards worked well, but I am wanting to scale down the amount of electronics as well as the battery drain.  My current design runs off 4 "C" batteries (6V) and has worked well.  

However, I am wanting to go with a 2 or 3 AAA battery supply now (3V to 4.5V). I have chosen to use all super efficient,low voltage components which operate down to 2.7Volts to help save in battery drain.  However, I forgot one important thing.  I dont' know if the PIR will operate at 3 or 4.5 Volts.  I know most of you use a 9volt battery supply, but have any of you ever operated the Mainstay PIR below 5Volts?  Just curious.  I have not had time to sit down and test it at this voltage, but I may soon.  Also, do any of you know how the supply voltage affects the PIR range of the Mainstay?  Thanks in advance yall.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The Mainstay (MS20) has a voltage regulator circuit that reduces the power source's DC voltage to 5 volts for it's internal electronic circuitry;  But the MS20's relay coil uses the "Raw" (unregulated) voltage.

I measured the DC volts when powered by 120 VAC and it was 24 VDC so the MS20 should operate with a DC voltage of about 5 (6 should be considered minimum I think)   to   24 vdc.  Since there is an internal voltage regulator, the range of the PIR won't change when used between these different voltages.

Some of us experimented, and slowly reduced the supply volts below 5 to see when the MS20 became unstable.  It was somewhere around 4.7 volts I believe.

which means  "Oops" back to the drawing board! you'll drop a hand grenade in your sock if you try to use the MS20 at 3 volts

Tinhorn

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Just what I needed to know Tinhorn!.  Glad I did not send off to get the boards made. Looks like I am going back to the 6 Volt supply with a 5 Volt voltage regulator.  Thanks for the info.  Great help!.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom