Opto replacement for relay

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Back earlier Jon and some of us were discussing low power mods, and I linked to a pic of a small board that I etched which has a 10k resistor, and a NEC PS2501-1 opto. This is a direct replacement for the relay on an MS20, and now I'm set up a little better where I can etch larger quantities. If anyone is interested,I've got these for $3.00 a piece + $1.00 shipping for up to 10. Not as economical as Jon's "Dead Bug", but a lot easier to install. If anyone is interested, E-mail me.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Your idea reminds me of the old vacuum tube days when some tubes had "subs" made using Solid State Components......

Good Idea!

Tinhorn

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
My dad was a double E from back in the 40's and I still remember him playing with substitutions in vaccume tube circuits with transistors, and how excited he would get, or how frustrated if he let the smoke out.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
This is just kind of a footnote I guess. Somehow there was a little confusion that this was a timer. IT IS NOT. It is only a lower power replacement for a relay on the MS20. It does the same thing that Jon's "deadbug" opto does, but is easier to install since its on a board and already made up.

AEH and I HAVE been working on a timer which should be posted on here sometime today or tomarrow, but this post was not for it. Sorry if there was any confusion.

kmitch

Reaction score
Sounds like we have done the same thing. I've worked up a circuit to add the walk test LED using an external switch. I have the PCB laid out to incorporate the internal timer and optocoupler. The board will be the same width as the MS20 board. I mount my MS20 boards in a slot similar to the original mounting so I'll add another slot for the timer/opto board. I'll try to post the circuit later today. I am going to do a test run on the PCB this weekend. If it works out I'll make the artwork available.

Keith

Top Bottom