Orange County Grunion

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I heard that the grunion are running starting Tuesday night through Saturday.

Has anybody had any past luck at any of the OC beaches?

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Yes, but it probably doesn't count:  closed season back in about 1976, they carpeted the beach north of the Huntington Beach pier.  It was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Mojave

Reaction score
We have usually concentrated on beaches further north, but the pattern should be the same. Look for a beach that is quiet at night, without a lot of ambient light. South facing beaches are supposed to be the best, according to the class taught at Cabrillo Marine Museum. Go to the beach on a night when they are expected to run, and watch for the first "scout" fish to come ashore. DON'T use your flashlight on the beach, and especially don't shine it out onto the water, until the floodgate breaks, and they come swarming onto the beach. It's best to locate the best beaches in the closed season, even though it may be frustrating. You will likely have less company then. We found our best spot by accident - My son, digging for sandcrabs to use for bait, found some grunion eggs in the sand. He put seawater over them, agitatated the water, and instantly, out they hatched! I asked where he learned to do that, and he told me they had showed both of us that trick during the visit to Cabrillo. Guess I wasn't paying attention!

Top Bottom