Orange vest for dove hunting

GJJ

Reaction score
Does anyone wear an orange vest for dove hunting? I am going to the DWU fields in Niland on the opener. I plan to do my best to put distance between me and anyone else. Would an orange vest kill my chances with the doves?

Bill in SD

Reaction score
No, orange would not kill your chances. However, it would make you stand out more and may make it more difficult.

If you are sitting down or standing next to a tree or something and not just standing out in the open you would have a better chance.

On the opener I would imagine a lot of doves would fly right over you even if you are wearing orange. After they get educated it would be more difficult.

The most important thing is being where the dove are.

Take care
Bill

Marty

Reaction score
If you look back to last years threads, there was a return of the "perpetual" debate on shirt colors. Basically, the dove want to fly from point-A to point-B. If they see movement, they alter their course to avoid a disturbance. The brighter your color contrast to the surrounding terrain, the more they will notice your movement. You "could" wear a hawaiian shirt and get a limit "if" you control your movement.

GJJ

Reaction score
Thanks. Personally, for dove, I have always used a tan hunting vest even on the opener. I plan to take a couple new hunters to Niland for the second half of the season and want to recommend a vest for them to buy. If they went with orange, they could use it for quail and chukar. But, I think a tan vest would be best for dove. Decisions...

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Marty @ Aug 3 2006, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Basically, the dove want to fly from point-A to point-B. If they see movement, they alter their course to avoid a disturbance. The brighter your color contrast to the surrounding terrain, the more they will notice your movement. You "could" wear a hawaiian shirt and get a limit "if" you control your movement.[/b]
I agree 100%, although I usually wear tan or camo.

HiiidyHoHunters

Reaction score
I always wear an orange hat, but then again I watch my flaring so the doves don't flare. The best bet for safety is distance. Last year I saw a guy swinging on me and ducked and hollared my presence. He replied "I'm glad you had that orange hat on". The worst part? He was UP an embankment swinging BELOW the horizon. Stupid is as stupid does, and unfortunately the ranks of hunters are full of alot of dumbsh*ts.

Distance, orange (if you feel it necessary), common sense and NO alcohol until the guns are put away should make everything pretty darn safe.

HuntFish

Reaction score
I never wear orange myself. I'm pretty much camo'ed out (as much as one can in that heat). Doves will still flare on me, but not as bad as the guys in blue jeans and white t-shirts. I doubt it would kill your chances wearing orange if you were in the right place. If you can find a bush to hind behind you'll do pretty good.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
I always wear a full orange vest when dove hunting and it has NEVER been the cause of doves flaring away from me. Never.

The only color that doves do not like (so I'm told by the DFG biologists) is the color BLUE.

DEFINITELY WEAR ONE....IT'S THE CHEAPEST LIFE INSURANCE ON THE MARKET FOR UPLAND GAME HUNTERS. STATISTICS DON'T LIE........

Marty

Reaction score
Well, I can see why BigDaddy. As long as you stayed behind that Jeep!

GJJ

Reaction score
This is off topic. But, a couple years ago I saw a guy at the Salton Sea with a shotgun in one hand and a beer in the other. He was walking to set up in the middle of a DWU field. I wanted to beat him with his own shotgun until he stopped breathing. But, I didn't.

I am leaning towards orange vests for all of us on the opener.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Back in the blue jeans and white T-shirt days I ALWAYS limited. Hmmmm..........................
............time for a switch back?

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
The color, orange or other has been covered in this discussion.

The issue on opener in the desert is the heat.
I recommend a mesh vest, or better yet, I use a simple waist belt with two pockets. One for at least a box of shells, and the other will just hold a limit of dove. I've bought this waist belt for $9 at Big-5
I wear a light camo short sleeved T-shirt, camo hat and olive or camo pants.

Only thing a vest would add is more space for water!!

Opener: days or hours of anticipation, and an hour or so of shooting - then get out of the heat!

Another tip for the opener: leave your dogs at home - too hot and you don't need them to flush or point dove :)

camo snob

Reaction score
I always wear camo hunting, alot when not hunting, and a camo hat perrty much every minute of my life

HuntFish

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GJJ @ Aug 4 2006, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is off topic. But, a couple years ago I saw a guy at the Salton Sea with a shotgun in one hand and a beer in the other. He was walking to set up in the middle of a DWU field. I wanted to beat him with his own shotgun until he stopped breathing. But, I didn't.[/b]
That drives me nuts!

FowlHabit

Reaction score
"This is off topic. But, a couple years ago I saw a guy at the Salton Sea with a shotgun in one hand and a beer in the other. He was walking to set up in the middle of a DWU field. I wanted to beat him with his own shotgun until he stopped breathing. But, I didn't."

You mean to tell me that he had enough gall to go out killin' and not bring beer for anyone else?
This world's goin' to hell I tell ya!

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FowlHabit @ Aug 4 2006, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"This is off topic. But, a couple years ago I saw a guy at the Salton Sea with a shotgun in one hand and a beer in the other. He was walking to set up in the middle of a DWU field. I wanted to beat him with his own shotgun until he stopped breathing. But, I didn't."

You mean to tell me that he had enough gall to go out killin' and not bring beer for anyone else?
This world's goin' to hell I tell ya![/b]

I'm sorry. I'll share next time.

camo snob

Reaction score
Hey man,

Instead of getting all bent out of shape and showing displeasure after the fact, why did you not say something to the gentlemen with the beer at the time as to correct his manners? especially if you want to kick his ass so bad, come on? cowboy up, grow a pair.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
Martythe jeep shot was actually the opener of the second season, and my garb was for the stomping of pheasant fields at 8:00AM. this second photo was 9-1 of the same season!
However, my hunting mates as well as myself were not clad in camo!
I've never worn more than a camo cap in my entire life to shoot dove, and dating back to childhood, no one wore any of it! as a matter of fact, the only camo available back in those days was from army surplus!
The GQ field fashions of today wasn't even a pimple on someone's butt! let alone dribbling down any legs!
But, without saying, to each his own! Whatever floats the boat, spreads the butter, fluffles the feathers!
Movement to approaching dove is the KEY! [attachment=31822:attachment]Notice the white t-shirt! blaze orange, and additional color shirts other than the only camo freak!

Attachments

GJJ

Reaction score
Camo Snob, I make it a rule not to confront people holding a shotgun that have no respect for themselves or reasonable laws.

Man on man. I could have beat him so bad he would cry like a little girl. He was in his 40s with skinny little legs and a pot belly that made him look pregnant in his 3rd trimester. I am his exact opposite, I am a black belt in karate, I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and am in near perfect condition. I also legally carry a Glock 27.

It is not my job to fix all the dumb people in the world. It would be a full time job.

Top Bottom