Oregon Hunting

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
My last post didnt get but one response i was hoping for any info on hunting if not some responses would be awesome too have any types of info stories or wanna chat about anything maybe even if we are going to the same spot we could hunt together back cow calling so we all have a better chance of an elk or even deer thanks yall keep in touch

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Sorry dude, I don't hunt over where yer heading. Weren't you going with your dad?
(pssst, teach him to cow call.....
)

My advise would be to pick out some likely spots on your topo and get over there to scout. Try and locate areas where a good number of animals are using. Once out your out there, 90% of the game in terms of time is called "find the elk". If you know there are animals around it makes that job much easier. Problem is that last 10% (get a bull in range, get a clean shot) can be really really tough. Some folks like to bugle a lot, but we only do it to locate. My routine is: cow call soft, cow call louder, bugle. We'll get into a set up just in case they happen to be close. Once we locate them, if they're far away we try to close the gap as quick as possible and set up. Once in close, we cow call only; where I hunt, a close-in bugle invariably causes the bull to round up his cows and blow town. Always keep the wind in your favor, control your scent as much as possible. If you have someone to do the calling, we usually set up the primary shooter 50 - 75 yards between the caller and the elk. A lot of times, bulls will try to circle around to get downwind so you may have to adjust. Calling by yourself is not impossible, but it is much tougher 'cause they can hone in on the call location like a heat-seeking missle.

In any case, unless your lucky, the majority of setups get blown for one reason or another (either that or I just suck!). Feel free to experiment; experience is the best teacher. Hunt hard and give yourself as many opportunities as possible. Good luck to you!

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
Thanks monsterbull all the info i get is helpful and ya i am taking out my pops we have rifle hunted but sick of getting shot at. Both of us have been shooting like crazy and did some scouting no scrapes but tons of sign and we got into a herd last week it was fun didnt see any bulls but we werent in our gear just stompin around the woods. Do you have any specific odor eliminator you use and alsp what about cow in heat stinkum.thanks again

easymoney

Reaction score
or/elkster,
I got drawn for a Bull Rifle Tag and will be hunting in Eastern Or. on public land. I hunt Or. every year and spend time tromping through the bush. You have to set your sights realisticlly, do you want to score(on any legal animal) or do you want to take a "book" animal. In all reality you will be lucky to see a legal animal to take with a bow. It always sounds easier than it really is. My suggestions or get away from roads, campgrounds, lakes and easy to access areas. Makes for hard work if you get something, but tends to cut out the road hunters. AND there are plenty of them.
Monsterbull put it very well, get into an area, scout and practice. Put away the bugle unless all else fails, as they are very call shy. Stick to cow/ calf calls.
Good luck...

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
Thanks easymoney all i want is meat in my freezer. I have hunted Oregon for 13 years now born and raised out in the woods every year i went rifle i got into elk but no clean shots and got winded or something else happened and i was in bow range everytime. Maybe i am to picky at my shot placement. I got my bow all set up can get 3 inch groups at 40 yards and am dead on at 25. ruined 2 of my arrows by shafting them lol. Well i will put both of your guys's info to great use and hope to tell a story when i get back. Still anyone with more info i could use all i get fellas thanks alot

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
Oh ya also easymoney what unit did you draw maybe i going to either northside or the lower heppner unit

Monsterbull

Reaction score
You asked a question about specific odor eliminators and lures. I pack in to my hunting area and keep my hunting clothes separate from my hiking-in stuff. I spray myself down with a scent eliminator spray, use the anti-perspirant, etc., but frankly they do not save you if the wind is wrong. I've heard some very good things about the Scent-Lok Savannah Series lightweight clothing. My brother just got some after it came highly-recommended to him from some guys who use it (successfully). Good for warm-weather conditions like we get in bow season. I've got some older Scent-Lok but it's a "beeeach" to wear in hot weather. Can't afford the Savannah stuff myself yet, maybe next year though.

The lure question is a land-mine subject. There are those who like them and those who don't. Personally, I have never had any success using estrous scents for elk, my opinion is they do more harm than good, I prefer no scent at all. But I'm sure there are those that have used them with good results that can recommend them.

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
Thanks again Monsterbull i was looking at this stuff a guy showed me at the archery shop i cant remember the name but he squirted ammonia on my hands and said smell them i did and my god terrible then he put some odor eliminator powder on my hands and poof it smelled like dirt it was some pretty kewl stuff and i smelled the elk in estreus stuff and it smelled like mt lion piss to me!!!!!!!! so i will use none at all and look into the odor eliminator powders and deoderant but thanks again anything else you can think of is awesome

easymoney

Reaction score
or/elkster,
I got drawn , by myself(because all my partners baled out this year), for Beaulah #1. It's a good area, lots of animals, not many book bulls though. Last time I was drawn, we saw loads of cows and spikes. On opening morning we were in place and a nice 6x6 bull came by but we were not fast enough. Another hunter beat us to him by mere seconds, and it's all about timing and luck.
This year I will be going by myself. And I will be there and ready EARLY...
Good luck to ya... Taking a mature bull elk with a bow is something to be proud of.

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
ya i will post any pics i get of my elk deer bear and or mt lion i am hoping for a bull but meat is my main goal thanks guys for all the info its been great

hoytrdye

Reaction score
meat is meat and we are not sqirrels so knawing on the horns does us no good
shot em up

Top Bottom