Oregon...is anyone else going?

SacFireJT

Reaction score
Well, I was finally able to get our good friend LD, to finally get out of the shoe store, and head out to Oregon Elk hunting this year. We are planing on hunting the opener with stands on the main trails that I have located, about 5 miles back in. We are also planing to set up and call and hopefully draw some silent bulls into my decoy on in diffrent areas on the NF. I have taken two Elk with my bow in the same area.

I have never stand hunted for elk, but the trails I have located are full of ELK well into the season, so our plan is to hunt the Elk before they are pressured

Here is are a few pictures of the area and trails!

Attachments

SacFireJT

Reaction score
Thanks, this spot is a secret...AS was trying to get me to tell him where it is. I Just have showed him too many of my prime hunting area's latley--I was hoping he could find a few of his own. Actually, I have heard that AS may being going to Oregon Elk hunting this year too

All trails lead to water! Here is a spring in the same area!

Attachments

YoungBlood

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been able to do some good scouting. I have been working and being out of town lately. Not working as hard as your boy, LD though. Hopefully, we can go get some hogs in Oct. at the old secret spot that everyone on JHO knows about at L. Sonoma.

SacFireJT

Reaction score
Yes, I know the area pretty well. I have hunted it for three years now...I missed a 6X6 my first year in there

BDB

Reaction score
Good luck with the elk fellas. Looks like some well used trails. You going in on horse back or are you planning on hauling an elk out 5 miles on your back?

Youngblood: Rumor has it LS won't open until a little later this year (Nov) and maybe run a little past last years closing. Hopefully we'll find out the schedule sometime in the next few weeks. See ya at the trail head

SacFireJT

Reaction score
Yep, LD it one meat-haulin machine! All on pack frames, mostly down hill!

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
10 miles round trip per day + gear........ouch! You might want to get a shopping cart to haul LD in.

Lurediver

Banned
Reaction score
I figure I'll drop my bull opening morning and then have Sacfire carry it out while I scout and find him a legal bull for the evening hunt!

What's a hoochie mama?

SacFireJT

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arrowslinger @ Aug 1 2006, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
10 miles round trip per day + gear........ouch! You might want to get a shopping cart to haul LD in.[/b]
Kirk, you know my new day pack has about 600 ci, I think i can pack LD in with it

snoopdogg

Reaction score
LD, in case you weren't being facetious, the Hoochie Mama is an elk call.

SacFireJT; that was a good one ("Your ex")...

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
5 miles on your back!! Since you posted you have taken elk there before, I guess you know what you are in for. We hunt Oregon every couple of years and when I do not have horses I have a mandatory 1 mile limit. I have had two small bulls I carried out solo, each time was under a mile. Each resulted in five trips and a pledge that I would NEVER do that again. Even when we go in with a group I try to plan it for no more than 3 miles, and, once an elk is down, all hunting stops until all the meat is packed to the trailhead. It is amazing how much harder an elk is to deal with than a mule deer!!
I have also helped several other folks who waited too long to get their animal out and lost a large part of their meat. They did not realize how fast an elk will spoil if it is not cooled properly.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
Theres no elk
here in Oregon. You should go to Idaho or Colorado. Plenty of elk there
. Yeah that sounds good.

SacFireJT

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lurediver @ Aug 1 2006, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I figure I'll drop my bull opening morning and then have Sacfire carry it out while I scout and find him a legal bull for the evening hunt![/b]
Funny, LD can't go on the trip now? Someting about selling shoes!
Change of plans for me too, I am going to hunt with our normal group later in the season.

Have any of you all hunted the early season on tree stands?

Orygun

Reaction score
got a tip from a timber manager on some elk nearby. I saw a smallish spike there and frankly he's just about all I want to handle for packing out.

hunthog

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arrowslinger @ Aug 1 2006, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
10 miles round trip per day + gear........ouch! You might want to get a shopping cart to haul LD in.[/b]
If you don't know what a hoochie mama is you are missing the boat. That call has helped me harvest 3 Elk in 4 years. Simple effective Primos Cow Elk squeeze call. IMHO the best on the market.

hunthog

Top Bottom