Oregon Late Season Archery help?

skookum

Reaction score
Hello Blacktail Lunatics:
I broke the piggy bank and will be headed up to Oregon before Thanksgiving for the Western Oregon Late season Blacktail archery hunt. I'm really rolling the dice for my son as this would be his first big game kill. We are looking into some of the units that allow you to take "any deer" which would include does and spikes (I'm not including the unit name here -gotta go to ODFW and do the research).
I'm used to hunting the national forest lands here in Cali but Oregon seems to be a checkerboard of BLM and private timber so access is the big issue as well as where to park our camper for a base camp (short term camping on BLM land is legal right?). I've downloaded the Avenza maps and will use my free 7 day trial with Onyx while we're there but If any one has some advice or local "boots on the ground" intel and wants to send me a PM I would really appreciate it. We'll be trailering over 8 hours from home and paying over $1000 for licenses and tags so I'm trying to collect as much info as possible while still respecting that we all have special places we want to keep for ourselves. Please don't post any names or locations here but general info on the Western Oregon late season archery hunt is welcome. :JHO rocks:

skookum

Reaction score
So, I"ve been able to contact a few more people in the area and they have been very helpful. Yes, you can camp on BLM, just make sure you know where you are on the checkerboard. Vehicles must stay on green dot roads. Some areas have resident deer and some higher elevation areas have migrating herds. I was told they haven't yet hit the peak of the rut and to look for them below 3500' although I think we're going to target the resident areas which don't get much higher than 1500'. Wildlife biologist and secretary for a timber company let me know where I can access some of the land that looked good on google. I'll report back with some pictures around Thanksgiving. Forecast calls for some rain so hopefully get that rut going and we get some chances.
t

greenhead bower

Reaction score
Rogue unit. I don’t think the tag you have is for anything but a buck that’s forked. You’d have to apply for the controlled hunts that’s offer does if I’m not mistaken. Been a few years since I’ve hunted my dads place. Too expensive for a small deer. Good luck. If the ruts on you’re good if it’s not could be rough.

I’d recommend finding a good trail and throwing out some rolled corn with molasses. That’ll keep the does around. I’ve never seen a buck go into the food to eat just to chase does. Baiting is legal so don’t stress

i know now you have your dates set but man that last week is good. If it rains hunt don’t be in the trailer. Hope you guys get one

Moskinyca

Reaction score
http://oregonhuntingmap.com/#/map another map link for hunting access, the north east units on western side of the sate have national forest you can hunt. I have not hunting these units but have hiked in unit 16 Santiam round Marion forks. Have seen deer the area in April/May have not been over there this time of year. I do have a friend that hunts elk off high 22 west of Detroit, logging road available to trailer camp.

skookum

Reaction score
Update: So we didn't get a deer but my son got to stalk down on one we spotted in a "christmas tree" farm reprod cut. His excitement at that moment made it all worthwhile. We spotted a large doe bedded on our last day of the hunt. What looked like a relatively easy stalk, if there is such a thing, was complicated by lots of "lumber litter" hiding under waist high (chest high for him) grass. He got about half way down the hill when his quarry stood, locked on his position and bounded off.
We lost a half day due to a dead battery but otherwise an awesome hunt with lots of sign in heavy timber. We hunted high and low, heavy timber, glassing clear cuts and "still hunting" old logging roads along creeks choked with oak trees. We baited two different areas but the deer didn't seem interested in our cut corn and molasses. Game cams turned up zero but on one occasion my son forgot to turn it on and I think the batteries died in the other. Either way it didn't look like the bait had been touched. The xmas tree sized reprod areas, as opposed to totally clear cut or over grown, seemed to be the most promising and are where I would devote the most time in the future (and along the edges and timber above these sections) if I'm lucky enough to return.
Of course we saw 3x as many deer from the highway as we did in the backwoods. If I had to do it over, I would've saved the money for my tag and license and just focused on getting my son his first buck as that was the objective anyway and it's always easier said than done. That said, it was nice to have my bow since I know I have a longer effective range for difficult shots that he would have had to pass up. We had to be back for Thanksgiving but since I've got all the xmas lights up and mowed the lawn, I think we'll be headed back this weekend for one last Hail Mary. He told me this morning that he had a dream he killed a buck!

Top Bottom