Original JoeD's Timer

JoeD

Reaction score
We are introducing our new updated timer: First stage - 6 second delay. Second stage has 9 modes: 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and 60 minutes. By the push of a button all modes can be made into double picture modes. (takes one picture, then 5 seconds later takes a second picture, will not take another picture until time delay selected has passed.) We have added the Refresh Pulse to this chip. You can use it with or without the refresh pulse. It also has an event counter that will keep track of how many pictures the camera takes. It will count up to 250 events, with or without the camera. So if your film runs out you will know how active the area is. The timer uses 1mA then it goes into a sleep mode to conserve power. The timer will last several months on 3AA or 3AAA batteries. Installing the switches and LED's on the outside of your box, will allow you to adjust the 9 time modes and monitor how may events/pictures have occurred. Pressing either button will also give you a one-minute delay to open you box without the camera firing. To ensure accurate times, in the sleep mode a special calibration has been added to compensate for variations in the chips. We designed this timer for the home-brew camera to make an easy to build timer/event counter. The timer consists of one programmed micro-chip, one 1K resistor, 1 LED, 2 relays if you use the refresh pulse and 1 relay if you do not use the refresh pulse. A lot has been written about the Refresh pulse. It is not needed on most cameras. I have 5 Owl PF cameras and I do not use the Refresh pulse, but now its there if you need it. We are selling the chip for 10.00 each I will build the timer for 30.00 without the refresh pulse 35.00 with the refresh pulse Shipping is 3.00 for each order. If you are interested in ordering or have any questions, please contact me at HuntwithJoe@aol.com  

You can view the new schematics at http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/JoeD/index.html

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the Upgrade info on your chips JoeD,

Morning Jayber,

The max those Chips can stand is 5.5 volts according the the Manufacturer's Specs but if you're using the MS20 or RS PIR, they both have 5volt regulators on them that you can tap in too and run JoeD's Timer.    I've built 2 that way using his olriginal version and the MS20....

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, making sense now.....wire it like the schematic you sent me the other day, eh?

tnspider

Reaction score
Question?
Joe,
I just got through building my first trail cam using the RS PIR sensor and the Canon Owl PF Date camera. Everything worked according to specs found on Jesse's Hunting Page. I was proud of myself seeing how I am an electronics dummy. I am building my second cam (also using the RS PIR sensor and the Canon Owl PF Date) to use over a food plot and want to install a timer. If I buy a completed timer ($30.00), what else will I need to purchase/install to make your timer work? Do you include detailed instructions that a dummy like me can understand?

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, tnspider, you may not need anything extra.  If you decide to power the timer from it's own source you'll need just a battery holder.  But you can avoid that by tapping into the RS PIR 5volt supply which was mentioned not too long ago by Tinhorn in his post RS PIR NOTES.  Secondly, if you wanted to use Joe D's new refresh pulse option, you would have to run three wires out of the camera instead of two, but ONLY if you were to use the refresh.  Now other than that I don't think it gets much more complicated for ya.  Someone correct me if I omitted anything.

Oh yeah, and Joe's timers are shipped with a schematic and detailed operating instructions.

Now, I've got a question for Joe.  It looks like someone would be able to swap out their old chip with a new one, needing no modifications (unless refresh was desired).  Is this the case?  And what kind of deal could you work up for someone who wanted to do this?

(Edited by msfelton at 6:45 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

(Edited by msfelton at 6:46 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Possum

Reaction score
That sounds like a great deal on a timer -counter-refresh chip.  Awesome.

tnspider

Reaction score
Thanks msfelton. I'm sold. I'll be sure to try the power input via the PIR before going with a separate source. Can't wait to get my timer and try it. This site is great!!

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey JoeD, Is that $3 shipping if I order ten, or is that $30 shipping if I order ten.

JoeD

Reaction score
Shipping is 3.00 for one chip or 3.00 for 10 chips.  

MS Felton, the board design for the new chip only uses one led and pin 3 is left open for the refresh, So if you swap a new chip in one of my original timers you should disconnect the LED from Pin3.

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
JoeD, what do you think about powering your timer with the 5v output on the RS PIR? If I'm not using the refresh on pin three, is the timer "turning on and off" every six seconds? If so how much will this effect battery life? Second order coming soon.

:banghead:

JoeD

Reaction score
Yes, I think thats a great idea.  I wish I knew about the 5v regulator when I was building my cameras.

Where would we all be without Tinhorn's hard work?

The timer will be turning on and off every 7 minutes.  This should not have much effect on the battery life.

JoeD

Reaction score
I have made changes to my original timer.

Brian is offering a timer similar to mine, but they are not the same.

scott morris

Reaction score
JoeD thanks for steering me straight. I am new to understanding electronics and homebrews.

tnspider

Reaction score
Got my new completed JoeD timer in and hooked up. Everything worked as stated. I contemplated the separate power source vs powering from PIR. Decided to go with separate so I could reset the event counter/re-program double pic option without having to cut power to PIR. Plus AA batteries are cheaper than 9V and I won't have to change them as often. Anyway, I am very pleased the timer and I would thank Joe, Tinhorn and all the others on this site that make this so much fun for us electronic dummies. I would highly recommend this timer for anyone wishing to add new these cool features to your Trail Camera.

homer

Reaction score
Joe D,                                                                                                Does your timer include a board to mount it on? Also do you include 2 relays when you buy an unassumbled timer for $10.00? Thanks Homer

JoeD

Reaction score
Homer,

for 10.00 you will receive only the programmed micro chip as stated above.

davered1

Reaction score
ANYONE know if joe can take online payments?

like PAYPAL?????

Top Bottom