OT - Northeast mountain lion sightings...

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A friend who works for the Massachusetts Nature Conservancy has been collecting data on mountain lion sightings in Southern New England for several years.  She almost always ends up proving the sightings wrong - usually a large bobcat, often even domestic cats!!
Anyway, I thought it might be fun to start trying to narrow down search areas by analyzing "good" sighting data and then set out all my cams in the area with the highest density of sightings.  It would be great to get the first "confirmed" lion in Mass on film.
Mostly interested in Southern New England sightings - Southern Vermont/New Hampshire, Mass, and Northern Connecticut.
>>>
Hey...We don’t have a “Bigfoot” in the Northeast...gotta go with the next best thing.

Anyone with info? - please e-mail it to:  archilochus57@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
That's a cool idea Arch.
People report seeing them in the mountains here in PA but nothing has ever been confirmed. I have nothing to help you but would be interested in any progress you make.
BTW, thanks for the information by email on the Fresnal lenses.

Stickbow

Reaction score
Arch,

I live right on the borders of NY, Ct, & Mass. (and hunt in all 3) and hear all the time about alleged Mountain Lion sightings. I figure sooner or later I'll have enough cams out that if there IS such a critter running around these parts...I'll have a "Kodak Moment" to prove it!!  8^ )

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Down here in South Mississippi, there has always been this "legend" that there are black panthers roaming the areas around the Pearl, Biloxi, and Leaf rivers.  I have met many people (those I consider normal) that claim to have seen them.  But I have always thought  that these people got sucked in by the myth and maybe they thought a black lab at night crossing the road was a panther.  I figured that if there really were panthers down here, some hick would have already shot one by now.  

However, I talked with a local MDWFP officer last year about this legend and he said that the MDWFP has strong evidence that they do exist in Mississippi (he did not go into detail).  He said they think that they are a subspecies of the Florida panther that has migrated over the years into South Mississippi's remote swamp areas.  He said they do not want to make it public knowledge that they are here, fearing that if they do, that people will start trying to hunt them.  Boy, would I love to get one on camera to prove it once and for all!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Good Luck with your Quest Archy, with your previous knowledge with all those Movement Cameras, I know you can do it.  I'd be almost as thrilled as you if you (or someone else on this forum) got a pix.

Last weekend a Road Grader operator told me he seen his 1st Mountain Lion recently.  He said he's been grading roads for the county for years and seen all kinds of different animals and big, big, BIG Bucks but this is the 1st time he seen a couger.

He said it jumped into the gravel road a couple hundred yards from him while he was sitting still, eating a sandwich in the grader.  It looked both directions (to avoid that run-down feeling I guess) then jumped on across, he said the color was like a deer and the long tail was clearly visible.  He also said he was surprised it appeared in the daytime but it didn't appear to be in any hurry like someone (thing) spooked it....

This occured in Southwest Missouri and I have 3 cameras about 10 miles away, just a jaunt in the woods for a Couger I imagine

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 9:32 pm on Sep. 20, 2001)

wapiti

Reaction score
We have reports in KY too.  Most likey such reports are other things and imagination.  Occaisionally pets get released and do survive.  We had a lioness and cubs encountered, one cub was roadkilled , the DNA tests indicated it was of Argentenian bloodlines.

Stickbow

Reaction score
Hey, sometimes Ya just gotta believe! A friend of mine has been claiming there's been a Black Bear around his house for awhile now, and conned, I mean CONVINCED me into borrowing a camera for awhile...and the first nite out He got pics of it!!!

Now everyone will have to believe him, and hear about it forever probably. Bears are a VERY rare occurance around here, although they do occassionaly cross the Hudson River from the Catskills. They're not legal to hunt though, so Al's really got himself a Trophy picture to "mount" on his wall! I'll scan one of the pics when I get a chance and post it.

Hmmmm, Bear pics where there isn't supposed to be any bears.......maybe that mountain lion shot isn't such an unreal possibilty after all!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
<Trying hard not to get sucked into the black panther debate, AGAIN>

For the record, there has NEVER been a recorded black panther killed or found in North America EVER. No verified video, pics, hides, nada. I know what they say about using the word never but with all the black panther sightings it just doesn't add up.

Brown cougars are rare in in the midwest yet they are found squished on the highways and RR tracks. I know there are melanistic animals that are black but there has never even been a melanistic cougar documented. It's possible I'm sure, but I don't think it explains the hundreds of sightings and tales I've heard and read from the midwest, east and south.

What really doesn't jive is this is an eastern tale with literally hundreds of sightings, and that's just the people who come forward. Many will only tell their black panther stories to friends or family. I've hard one black panther tale in the west after living here 21 years.

SHOW ME THE BLACK PANTEHR!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi spectr,
I've never heard much about black panthers up here (other than the political kind!!)  I'm thinking of the regular ol' mountain lions like the ones out West.  Increasing number of "sightings" in this region - supposedly coming South from Canada.

I'll let you all know if I get any pics.  have to figure out how to post 'em here though.

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Spectr, I like you do not believe in the panther myth.  I am just amazed at how many people get sucked into it these stories (remember the story about the 100MPG gas pill?).

Dont get me wrong.  I think that it could be VERY remotely possible that a Florida Panther could make it here to our area.  
They had to relocate one from the Florida Panhandle area years ago and that is only about 350 miles from us, so I guess it could happen.  Heck two years ago a black bear was hit and killed by an RV trying  crossing the Pearl River bridge on I-10.  That was the first bear documented in South Mississippi in over 75 years!.

However, all the stories that go on here are always nightime encounters.  Doh,  no wonder they always say they saw a BLACK panther.  Everythings black at night.  Here my equation:  Good Ol Boys + drinking + nightime driving = Black Panther sitings!

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a friend that lives in Hillsgrove Pennsylvania, one Sunday morning while he was on his way to church with his wife and two kids, a mountain lion jumped off a bank 20yrds in front of his vehicle. Although it didn't stick around for pictures or anything, he and a friend pulled some plaster prints from the mud on the side of the road where it went into the woods.  He gave the impressions to the local wildlife C.O, and they said it was a mountain lion, but the only explanation was that it was from a zoo/circus, or someone had a very expensive pet that they couldn't take care of and left it free to roam. This happened app. 8 yrs ago, and my retired friend spends every day in the woods, and claims he has seen more than that initial one, but wouldn't report it to anyone...EVER. I believe we have some here, but like BIGFOOT, I have never seen one.

gizz

Reaction score
h2obobh2o - Sounds like the same reports I'm hearing. I'm starting to believe but hope to get some proof one day. I live in NorthCentral Pa as well.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
was doing a search on Mountain Lions after reading the below site and pulled up this OLD POST and thought I'd bring it to the top of the stack.

it has some interesting reading and thought someone on here might have a contribution to add

http://easterncougarnet.org

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Tinhorn.
My neighbors have just claimed to have sighted one - so I'm planning to set all the cams out. Probably a dog or something though :-(

b.hooved

Reaction score
A hunting buddy friend of mine three years ago saw a cougar in a field hunting groundhogs. It was in Johnsville, MD, about 30 miles south of the PA line (nearest big town: Frederick). He had hunted in the area for 25 years and this was the first cougar he had seen. He was so excited he called several neighbors and they all gathered to watch it for a while. (No photos, of course.) With all these game cams available now we should be able to get some proof these big cats are among us. Last year a black bear was hit on the Baltimore-Washington parkway not far from a major airport. The theory was that big critters start following creeks and end-up in populated areas without realizing it.

W

wildebeast

Just like to add a little bit of info on the cougar stories... A young lady claimed to have seen a cougar at her mail box this spring...my brother had seen one cougar track over one year ago less than a mile away from her home...we both thought she never saw a cougar..I got a picture of a large male about a month later in an area that would include her siting.

We both believe today that she saw a cougar. I agree that it is hard to believe a siting of a cougar at the mailbox--I have never seen one, let alone seen the sign of the one I got the pics from.

Cougars usually travel in the same area on a month or so time line...be sure to notice the date on any siting and allow for that....My brother and I had 17 cameras set out for the cougar and he walked through the camera we least expected.

Lots of luck and I hope you get a pic..don't give up

cliff

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hey wildebeast,
What area are you in?? I'd like to get a peek at the pics too!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
That Couger is probably in trouble, I think it's a felony to mess with someone's mail box, wonder what the Couger had that was so important to get mailed?

Besides me and Arch, the Sheriff would probably like to take a peak at the culpret

I think WB is in the west but if someone in the East has a couger pix, maybe send it to the Site above for their info.

Tinhorn

Top Bottom