Otay res opener

uhunter

Reaction score
I will hunt there on opener just a couple of quick questions since i have never hunt it before.

Are there actual blinds already built?

Are these boat blinds or do you camo the boat and shoot from shore?

How big is the lake?

Can i get away with an electric trolling motor?

When they do the blind selection is it you go pick or is it you get sent to?

I will be hunting alone is 6-12 magnum decoys ok?

Should i bring my waders or is the water too deep?

Thanks and good hunting!!!!!!

foulshot

Reaction score
uhunter,
first off there are no blinds built, the water level is high and up in the toolies.  In some spots there is enough natural cover not to build one.  If you have a cordless spotlight bring it. Helps to find your blind. I don't know what other lakes you know in the area but it would compare to Murry or Poway.  If you draw a blind at the far end of the lake an electric might not make it there and back.  I believe last year that they had some rental motors available.  Call the City lakes office  @ (619)668-2050 to make sure. Did you pick up a map of the lake?  If so blind 11-17 would be the ones out of elec range.  Draw goes- the number you pull out is the number blind you get.  As far as the dekes go, that would probably work. I don't know that a larger number will help.  I would bring the waders and throw them in the boat just in case. Personally I hunt from a float tube, so I only set about the same amount of dekes.  If you get upper draw then everything changes.  A few dekes and shoot from shore.  I'll be going by to take a look tomorrow after work and I'll post here with what I see.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
The lake has a surface of 20 acres, so depending on what number you draw will decide what motor you need.

I'll be with Foulshot in a float tube.

Actually that didn't sound to good . . . Foulshot and I will be using our own float tubes (that's 2 of them).

See you then and good shootin'

uhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. If you are useing a float tube does that mean you can drive to the back parts of the lake and go in from there, i dont have a float tube but due have a rubber dingy, so could i drive to the back part, shoot from shore and recover the ducks by dingy? Am i makeing this more diffuclt than it really is? Well i am going to try to get down there and check it out today i will also share any info that i get. Quack Quack..  

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
We talked to Joe the lake manager during the draw on Saturday about that exact situation.  He says it would be okay to drive around and drop in your float tubes.  A friend of ours just purchased a kayak and asked if he could drive around and launch his kayak from shore too, but Joe said that he wouldn’t allow it.  His reasoning is doesn’t allow fisherman to drive around and drop in their kayaks, so he won’t allow it for hunters as well.  He wants to keep it uniform.  Another reason is that if someone drives by and sees someone dropping in a kayak or small boat from somewhere other than the dock, they might get the idea that they could do the same.  He doesn’t want someone getting the wrong idea and decide to drop in a kayak and start hunting for ducks when it’s not allowed.

Although I think it would be highly improbable that someone would see you launching a kayak at 4:30 in the morning, he is the lake manager and what he says goes.  Joe is a really nice guy, he’s a hunter himself and does all he can to support us.

I don’t know if a dingy falls under the same category as a kayak, but I’d assume it would.

Top Bottom