Other Uses for Game Trail Cams

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
I saw a post about "what to do since Turkey season is over?" and it gave me an idea:litebulb: ................. but first a short true story.
  While in camp high up in the Rockies (September 2000) a conversation struck up about trail cameras. I got up and went to my tent and returned with a nice stack of pics my trail cam had taken in just a few months. I was the first one of the 8 in camp to have one and they were amazed at my results. Well, as all here know who have shared their pics with others, I was bombarded with questions ...all the hows and whys. After about 30 questions (and 30 long answers) one of the guys asked where I had it out while I was there in Colorado. Just for laughs I quickly said that it was setup on the backdoor of my house. Well expecting someone to laugh and catch on I was puzzled at their silence. I had to explain to them that since I was way out in Colorado and my beautiful wife was at home in Georgia all alone I figured I should set it up on the back door while I was away. Well then they all fell out and we all enjoyed a good laugh together. I told this story to a coworker after I returned home and he thought it was a great idea and asked if he could borrow mine for a few days to see who was sniffing around his place when he wasn't there. And yes he was serious. Of course I said no. He later told me he was going to buy one just for that reason.
   This leads me to the idea I had. Since it is kind of a lull time as far as hunting goes what about setting up your cam to catch people instead of animals. By this I mean setting it up to catch an unsuspected family member or friend in a funny situation. The sky is the limit and with the crafty minds here it should get real interesting. By the way, I do set up a cam on every outside door to my house when I leave for extended periods like vacations. I set them up on the inside and hide them from view. I hope and pray  noone ever breaks in while I am gone but if they do I will have their pic :shades-smoke: and who knows I might even get a pic of JODY :surprised-purple: !   

BuckSnort

Reaction score
 Sound like a good idea,I would like to see the photo's.I'm still waiting to come across one in the woods,I think it would be funny to waste just a couple of the photo's on something funny like walking by in a monkey suit or walk by it naked.What else would be a funny thing to do to someones trailtimer (without damaging it or wasting to many photo's of course)

shufigo

Reaction score
Second roll of film I ever got was a set of "moon shots" from a couple guys in my club who found my cam.  And I wondered why the attendant at the 1 hr developing place was looking funny at me when I picked them up....

Tinhorn

Reaction score
"JODY" ! ! !  haven't heard about that guys since I left the Army in '72  ha ha

This time of year is the pits for the camera season alright, since there ain't not not horns yet, I try for other animals or set one up on one of those small paths/trails we wonder what's using, etc.  

Maybe we ought to have some challenges to see who could get the 1st pix of something, like the buzzard I tried for all last summer.

I'd worry about lost/stolen cams but it's a good idea to put one up looking at the doors while we are away.  Guess it'd need to be put on "No Flash" tho, and hope intruders work day shift only......

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Here's a fun off-season "first" to try for.... The first bat picture!  Now that would be a SERIOUS challenge!

Already got an idea how to go about it....
Take the "bat detector" off my web-page, when it "hears" a bat, have the cams shutter get pressed & held half-way - that way the cam can react faster when the bat is detected by the motion sensor and the shutter is fully depressed.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I've been wanting to build a Bat House for a long time but, besides being lazy, couldn't find a plan I liked.  Maybe Archy's bat challenge will make me do it, or is that cheating?  he he

The Unknown Creature posted lately, that looked like a Flying Squirrel to me, was also on my mind.  I've seen them run out of hollow trees a lot, mite attach a shelf on a tree, just under a 3" dia hole and set the cam on it to try for a pix  (I guess I can't get enough pix's of squirrels on the ground, have to go to the trees to waste film!)

Tinhorn

Dbworld

Reaction score
Actually I considered putting the digital in macro mode.  Put a piece of cardboard over the sensor so just a small hole is exposed and put it right in front of the hummingbird feeder.  Might be some cool pics.  

gantley

Reaction score
well i am figuring on catching my %$#@ neighbor in my deer stand with mine......

Firemn

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn, my first picture ever taken with the trail cam was of buzzards!  I have a cop buddy who  was able to keep a deer from a deer/car accident.  So we used it as a bait pile.  Rest of the pictures were of coyote.

And unbelievably, I have a friend who thought the only reason I built my trail cam, was to lend it out to friends who thought their wives were cheating on them.  Honestly, he thought just set it on the fireplace mantle or on the dresser of the bedroom, and not actually use it to track animals.  I told him if he was that paranoid, I would build one for him and try to find a brick veneer finish for his mantle.

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
It is probably best that I did not have one of these things before I got married. :muha:

Top Bottom