Ouestion for anyone

Baldplate

Reaction score
This is not the question of the year but one that has puzzled me for some years now so I thought I would poll the experts on this forum. Last weekend when I was cleaning my ducks(plucking alot of work), I notice that 3 of the mallards had fat that was pearl white in color. The fourth mallard had fat that was yellow in color. Is this due to age or diet???. The bird with the yellow colored fat appeared in good health and condition. These birds were taken at Colusa if that makes any difference. I have noticed this before on birds taken from other locations. Like I said, not a burning issue, but I am stuck at work and won't be able to hunt this weekend so what the Hell.

Jay

Reaction score
Maybe it's old fat versus new fat or rice fat versus bug fat.

I do notice that same difference betwwen wild pheasants and club pheasants.

Litch

Reaction score
I do notice that the birds I shoot on the East side of the Sierra have yellow fat. It does sound like a change in diet. Maybe your yellow fat duck is a new arrival from up North.

Blacktail Buck

Reaction score
From what I've been told is the ducks with yellow fat have been eating corn, and the ones with white fat have been eating rice.

huntducks

Reaction score
BT Buck

What if thay have been eating White Corn.LOL

DanV

Reaction score
The corn/rice idea was my guess also, don't remember what color the fat is on Grizzly Is. ducks, must have been brown. Even mallards taste and smell like crap. Started duck hunting there almost 20 years ago- exclusively at Grizz. Is. One trip to one of the valley refuges and I've never hunted Grizz again.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Are you sure that the white your talking about is fat?.  Some Mallards get infested with tiny little white maggots.  Most of this is from eating rice.  I cleaned a Mallard from Kern this year and the breast was loaded with white.  Mostly in breast.  This was the first duck in many years that I cleaned that had this white stuff.  I learned this from another website and the guy said they were considered a lyce, or some type of maggott.  The white was clearly visiable. If you cut into the meat the little bugs will be clearly visiable and way deep in the meat. Anyone else clean birds with  this white stuff, or know what it is called.  I also hear that you can still eat the duck and that nothing is wrong with the meat.

limit7

Reaction score
I think the color of fat depends on the species and diet.  Gadwall fat tends to yellow, while pintail fat tends to be white.  The fact that a mallard will eat anything from a skunk to corn might have to the difference in the color of fat for mallards.  

that is my .02 cents.

MikeZ

Reaction score
Got a Mallard last year at Kestersen that was full of the little white worms in the breast meat. Couldn't bring myself
to eat him. Fresh BBQed little maggots... Bleck...
Mike

limit7

Reaction score
sounds like MikeZ needs to check "Recipes, Meat Care and Cooking Tips" for that duck......

Reaction score
WELL WELL
Mr. Mike Z
Sounds like you are some all time hunter
well
i believe you
see ya in a couple a weeks

stickman

Reaction score
The color of the fat is directly related to the diet. BB is definately right.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom