Out of state hunting

el hunter

Reaction score
my dad wants to buy a 270 rifle to hunt out of state Colorado. I was on the phone today with a gun sells man and he told me to first find out if the state that were going to hunt is legal to hunt with that caliber 270. He said theres a couple of states that only allow 30 caliber or better. Does anyone know about this is it legal to hunt in colorado with a 270. Thanks

BOHNTR

Reaction score
The man you talked to is misinformed.

el hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply It didnt sound right because he also said a 7 mag wasnt legal and thats a big gun. Thanks again.

Jake F

Reaction score

el hunter,
<O:p></O:p>
I will tell you that this is a big debate with everyone I know. A lot of hunters will tell you no way, but the .270 is my and my dads go to gun. Granted we mostly hunt the much smaller black tails. If we are lucky enough to get drawn for a muley hunt, we take the .270’s as our primary guns, the larger guns do make the trip but they are for backup. We hunt in Nevada</ST1:p where the shooting can be, and mostly is long. We have no problem shooting 300+ yards with a humane kill. Hope this helps.
Disclaimer, :bag-on-head:I have never shot a factory load out of my gun and we practice shooting at 500 yards all the time.
Jake:patiotic-wavin-flag

Jake F

Reaction score
el hunter

Im sorry I guess I should of started my mindless opinion with the gun salesmen was trying to be "ethical"

this is straight out of the colorado regs. - section (#203 MANNER OF TAKE)

1. Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

el hunter

Reaction score
I bought me a 300 win mag just for colorado and did some surching on the ballistics chart for the 300 win mag and the 270 with a 24 inch barrel they are pretty close shooting the barnes triple shock x bullet. I know we dont have to shoot this ammo were we hunt in colorado but its what we shoot. My dad doesnt want to shoot the 300 win. mag so hes looking into buying another 270 but with a 24 inch barrel.

el hunter

Reaction score
Jake f thats good info 24 caliber thats pretty small so were good Thanks for the info

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
El Hunter – I own a 270 and 300 Win Mag. You made the right choice! :beer toast:

You can kill just about anything with a 270, but shooting them with a 300 is much more fun!

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
A .270 is a great all around gun, Whats more important is being familiar with your gun and your loads, if you do your home work and stay with the working range of that gun and put the bullet on the mark you'll be fine. don't get caught up in the "bigger is better". I've taken multiple mulies and elk with a .243 with out a problem. Alot of people also think you need to be shooting 70 lbs on a bow to kill a elk. 55 lbs is all you need!

RoosterKiller

Reaction score
I have shot many of Rocky Mountain mule deer and Elk with a .270.I have even shot big Muleys with a .243.
But,before you go to another state to hunt go to thier regulations first and that is were you will get the facts.just as Jake F. did.

el hunter

Reaction score
About the regulation i called awile back to see if they could send me the reg book and they never send me anything im going to have to call again though.

el hunter

Reaction score
Ill check it out on internet its the best thing to do every year might be different regs. Thanks

Top Bottom