• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Outrageous NZ Firearms fees

Glass eye

AirNZ has just begun charging a handling fee for firearms....$150 USD EACH WAY...and EACH LEG of the trip. That's $300 roundtrip to Auckland, and $600 RT if you're going to Christchurch.
We need to email complaints and tell them that we will use other airlines such as V australia.
Even if you don't have plans to ever hunt in NZ you should complain because once an airline starts a new fee and gets away with it, all the others with follow that lead.
http://www.airnewzealand.com/help-and-contact

chap_dog48

I bet outfitter won't cry fowl since they will have special pricing for you to use there rifles and make more money. This sucks.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Or maybe the outfitter SHOULD cry foul b/c I determine "It's just too expensive to hunt New Zealand" when (Zimbabwe, Australia, take your pick) doesn't have the same fees.

asaxon

Glass Eye. The link you put up works perfect. Here is the message I just sent them. And it is true, the Admiral is a Kiwi and frequent NZ flier so we won't use Air NZ. I think posting your message under action alerts will get a lot more "play" than here and in my view, that is an appproriate place to post it so that many others will contact them as well. I suggest you post it there as well. I'd expect the moderators will be good with that - BelchFire, what do you think as an administrator?

Your new fees for firearms as baggage are outrageous. As frequent fliers to NZ, my family and I will simply will no longer use Air NZ but chose an alternate airline. From the "buzz" in the hunting world, If you were planning on getting all of the hunting tourists that come to NZ off Air NZ, you will have achieved it. "Congratulations".

Last edited:

Glass eye

Recently I recieved a reply fron NZair and it stated ( I deleted the email) that they will no longer be charging a firearm handling fee. However, their free checked baggage is only 1 now, ( it was 2 free ) so any additional baggage is charged $150 per piece ( it was $50 ) I don't know about you but for a hunt I need at least 1 checked bag AND my firearm, so it's a moot point that they won't charge a handling fee because unless your gun is your only checked bag, they're going to charge you $150.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Andy, either is fine. Most of our members use the New Posts link and it'll show up either way. I'll be happy to move it if you guys want.

Glass Eye, they're pretty savvy. They got their $150, but now it's not a firearms issue. C'est la vie. At least the non-hunters will be paying the same price for their hiking and hippie gear. Bites either way......

asaxon

I received an reply to my email from Air NZ saying they have dropped the $150 firearms fee in response to "overwhelming response from customers." Great. I'm sure "money talks". So that is a dead issue, no need to post it else but thanks for asking BelchFire.

Now if they are going to charge $150 for all extra baggage, so be it. That does not single out firearms. They will likely apply that to all dangerous cargo and include in that firearms, ammo etc.

I'm surely going to look for an airline that doesnt' have baggage fees like that as well...

Thanks GlassEye and Belchfire.

Last edited:

Top Bottom