Over and Under issue

Mjp62

Reaction score
So I used a Browning Over and Under .12 gauge for yesterday's dove opener. Problem was, no second shot. Luckily I had my back up gun. Any ideas or thoughts why this gun only fires once?

mezcan

Reaction score
Because it's not a Winchester ? Just kidding , kinda ...
See a competent gunsmith , he'll fix you right up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaildeath

Reaction score
My understanding is that OUs operate in two ways to cock the hammers. One is you crack it open and it cocks both the hammers. The other is the recoil from the first shot sets the hammer for the second. I think you have the latter and the linkage could be broke.

Or,

What happened with mine was the firing pin spring or the firing pin itself failed. My OU was upgraded to the 30k round springs and pins by the manufacturer.

54hawken

Reaction score
when was the last time you took the stock off and cleaned the action? could just be dirty

VHRAM

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen. It had a broken firing pin. It's a really easy thing to do. Lots of YouTube videos out there about doing o/u maintenance and firing pins.

3springs

Reaction score
Most likely, the action needs cleaning.

Remove the stock. The pad comes off with two phillips screws. Get to them with lube on the screwdriver to slide through the tiny slots in the pad. One bolt holds the stock on.

Clean all moving parts with solvent and brushes, blow dry. Repeat a couple times until your white cleaning cloth does not show dirt.

The firing pins are also an area to look. They fit into small bores and fixed with a cross pin. Burnt gasses and unburned particles can build up at the bottom of the bores preventing full stroke of the pin.

Mjp62

Reaction score
Problem solved with some Hoppes.

mezcan

Reaction score
Problem solved with some Hoppes.
Just some powder residue around the firing pin probably. A lot of stress over nothing, go shoot some birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom