Overnight bull/hog hunt on Big Island

doccherry

Reaction score
I won't steal Evan's thunder, but he took a huge rain forest hog with long, nasty teeth on the hike out. I'll let him post his photos and tell the story.

Stay tuned!!

EvBouret

Reaction score
gotta go to school in 5 minutes....ill post the story and pics later.

EvBouret

Reaction score
I met Bruce and his buddy Tony and the trailhead a little after 7am on saturday. We geared up and I sighted in a Mossberg 12ga that Bruce was kind enough to hand down to me (Thanks again Bruce!). Got it kinda figured out after 10 or 15 minutes and we started our hike. I was shooting some 20 year old slugs that Bruce has had sitting on his shelf. We made pretty good time on the way in and trogged through the sludge that composes the so called trail. Upon getting there we threw the tents and a tarp up and unloaded all our camping supplies so that we had our normal day hunting gear. We pushed all day up hill towards the pasture, our hopes were high of seeing cows, and hopefully a pig or two as well. There was a good bit of semi fresh sign, nothing real recent though. We did bump a pig at one point but never got sight of it. We found it's tracks plodding away through the mud. After going at a snails stalking pace all day we decided it was time to turn around and head back towards camp. On the way back Tony was curious as to why we hadn't heard any pigs squealing or fighting all day. Low and behold, about a half hour later we hear a squeal and some snorting and it was coming from less than 100 yards away! We snuck up until we could see a hapu'u fern shaking. I went around the left side into a small dip and Bruce and Tony covered the right side. After a few minutes of trying to get a view of the pig I heard it grunt. The pig was looking straight at me, I could see its forehead and two big black ears. As I raised the shotgun, it spun and I squeezed off a shot. After my shot the bushes exploded with life, the pig I shot at went running out of view, a Kalij pheasant went flying off and a few baby pigs went running the same direction as the pheasant. Upon further inspection we concluded that I probably missed the pig. It was my first shot at game with the shotgun, so I like to think that's what caused me to miss. But in actuality it was probably just a shaky hand and a jerky trigger pull. The front fiber optic pin had broken off the sight as well making the clear pin holder pretty hard to make out in the fading light.

Bruce and Tony went to bed pretty early that night and I stayed up and tended to my fire until about 8:30 and called it a night. The tent I was sleeping in decided to leak all night through the zipper and onto my feet, it also would drip periodically directly on my face. I woke up in the morning with a liter of water pooled up at my feet. I had two sleeping bags though so I stayed nice and warm despite being able to squeeze a cup of water out of my bag in the morning. Note to self: Place tent under tarp.

The second day went much like the first. A lot of hiking and not much game. Bruce saw a big pig at one point while me and Tony were resting but wasn't able to get a shot through the ferns. There was virtually no cow sign for the first half of the day until we got real close to the top of the forest. We found a plethora of fresh hour old tracks and even some luke warm poo. The sign dissapeared after a bit and we never got sight of the cows. We headed back to camp again empty handed after half a day of searching. We had given up at this point but all unanimously enjoyed the trip. It was beautiful country and a good group of guys and we were all content to go home and not eat meat for dinner. We packed up camp and stashed a few things up there for next time. We then started our journey out.

About an hour or so into the hike and 1/3 of the way to the trucks right in the middle of the crappiest part of a crappy hike I turned a corner and saw a branch shake about 7-8 yards away. I looked down below it and there was a giant black mess of bristles. I froze and almost crapped myself. It was one of the largest pigs I have seen in the wild. I spun around and hustled as quietly as I could back to Bruce and waved my arms like a madman to signal there was a pig only 10 yards from their current position. They got the picture pretty fast and I put a round in my chamber and a round in the magazine. I peeked out around the corner again and he had walked a few feet behind a patch of some sort of reed like grass. I could only see his tail and butt so I just waited. He was digging around in the mud underneath the reeds. Then he poked his head out of the reeds and was facing directly at me. I didn't wait...BOOOOM, he fell on the ground with a 12ga size hole above his eyeball. My shot hit a bit to the side of where I was aiming. My legs were shaking with adrenaline at this point. I had just downed the biggest pig of my life. He was still blinking and looked like he had a bit of life left in him. So I put one more from the side behind the ear. He was nice enough to fall directly into 3" of standing water and mud. We guesstimated his weight at ~200lbs. He was definately bigger than the 180lb boar I got with Bruce a month or so ago. We measured his teeth and they came out at 2 7/8" on the outside curve and 2 3/8" on the inside curve. The same length as my last pig, but much thicker. Then it started pissing down on us. Bruce went ahead and Tony and I got it all butchered up as fast as we could. We charged out a pretty good pace and met Bruce at the truck. It made the two day armed hike actually feel like a hunt.

I'm not sure what else to say...I think Bruce has some pics too?

oregoncritters

Reaction score
Great pig Evan..What island are you on? I fly into the Kona airport on Sunday for about 9 days there.. Have a buddy with a ton of land so were going to do a little looking around...

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice one, Ev!

Hunted with a guy this weekend down near Santa Maria who has a place on the Big Island. He's talking about going back and possibly hunting, and I mentioned the success you guys have been having. I don't think he realized the hunting opportunities he has over there, but I'll be he's looking into it now!

Sounds like big fun, fellas. Keep at it!

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Good job Guys.Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

EvBouret

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oregoncritters @ Mar 17 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great pig Evan..What island are you on? I fly into the Kona airport on Sunday for about 9 days there.. Have a buddy with a ton of land so were going to do a little looking around...[/b]
We're on the Big Island. I will be in Park City those dates but I'm sure you'll be able to squeeze a shot off at something if that's what you're looking to do.

doccherry

Reaction score
What was really great about this hunt was that I was able to learn so much just watching Evan and Tony at work. Tony has killed 40 bulls with his 30/30 lever action, working as a federal "pest" eradicator. He gave up counting hogs when he got to about 100. He's about the quietest stalker I've ever met, kinda ghostlike when he's moving. Evan told me he was going to make a fire that evening in camp. Every piece of wood I saw was dripping like a sponge. Evan disappeared and soon had enough dry wood for a nice fire. It was amazing how he did it, finding dry wood in country that is sopping wet. Both of them gave me a lot of rain forest survival tips that I hope I never need to use.

We saw very few animals this trip but tons of sign. Nobody else has been back in there since Evan did his imitation of a bullfighter, so maybe it's the moon or the weather or whatever.

Here are some crappy photos. I screwed up the camera setting so the flash didn't work.

Aloha.

Attachments

One Track

Reaction score
As we would say back in the day, That's bitchen! You guys are having a blast and it's fun to follow you hunts. That's a big boar. Nice work.

EvBouret

Reaction score
When I put my report sheet thingy in the checkin box it looked like two brothers went in the day before us and got a boar and a cow. Might have scared everything out of there?

doccherry

Reaction score
Evan:

Need your mailing address so I can send some fiber optic inserts to you. The email address I have bounced.

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Nice pic's Doc. Did Ev keep the skull of the Trophy boar? Your camp site looks to be all rooted up.:}

doccherry

Reaction score
Huntr Pat:

Yeah, it's all rooted up. Pigs are everywhere up there. You can bump into one at any time. Evan heard something prowling around camp at about 3:00 AM and I imagine it was a hog. Cattle were off aways. If we had another day or if Evan weren't with such an old fart, he could have hiked up to the pastures and taken another bull or cow.

That place is like it was a thousand years ago, totally pristine. Now that my muscles no longer ache, I'll start planning the next trip, probably toward mid to late April.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Are you guys hunting unit D west of Hilo on the Saddle road ?

EvBouret

Reaction score
yep. We're at the 16 mile marker almost due north until you hit Wailuku River. Thanks for the bag! It worked out great!

Huntr Pat: I kept the bottom jaw. Boiled it yesterday and scraped most the meat off. Ill leave it to dry out on my fence for a few weeks then put it with my other jaw and my bull horn underneath the house.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Do you think a jungle hammock would have been better than a tent on the ground ?
Just wondering if I should bring a couple.

EvBouret

Reaction score
Jungle hammock would be great. I have used a Byer hammock with a built in mosquito net quite a bit with a seperate 10x12 tarp thrown over the tarp. The only problem with using a hammock is that if it rains water runs down the hammock lines and ends up wetting down the ends of the hammock. Im not sure if the military jungle hammocks have the same problem since they're made a bit differently. If I'm expecting substantial rain I usually bring my tent. If I'm not expecting much rain maybe a few drizzles now and then I usually have my hammock or tarp and groundsheet.

Flatbroke

Reaction score
Great hog, I thought our terrain was tough. you guys must be half billygoat

Bulleye

Reaction score
Congrats on the pig! I can't wait to get home and do some hunting. I need to fill my freezer with some Hawaiian boar. Hopefully I will get a crack at a Bull too.

Top Bottom